standard kitchen cabinet depth

I have made a lot of kitchen cabinets, but I have never decided for sure what standard 24 inch depth means--is it the overall depth of the carcase, or is it the overall depth of the cabinet with drawers and doors installed? A 24 inch carcase with overlay doors has a total overall depth of 24 13/16" or so with overlay doors. Countertops are 25" deep typically or maybe a bit more, and they won't overhang the outer face of the cabinet by very much if you have overlay doors and a 24" carcase. Everybody in the world knows the answer here but me, I imagine.

Have you gone to a store to look at ready-made cabinets, or are you in the middle of the desert?

Have you gone to a store to look at ready-made cabinets, or are you in the middle of the desert?
Good point...I was wondering how somebody who has supposedly built "alot of kitchen cabinets" doesn't know how wide they are...Maybe it's just me....

Possibly it is just you. I have in fact looked around, and found different measurements. Besides, if I went to home depot instead of posting here, you might have had to wait a couple more days to get a chance to be a smartass with some other post. So, as I see it, we have a win-win situation.

Possibly it is just you. I have in fact looked around, and found different measurements. Besides, if I went to home depot instead of posting here, you might have had to wait a couple more days to get a chance to be a smartass with some other post. So, as I see it, we have a win-win situation.
Well that was kind of of a stupid question for a cabinetmaker to be asking on a home repair newsgroup....You would think somebody who has supposedly built MANY kitchen cabinets would know the standards.. LOL...Yes I know , I'm being a smartass again for pointing out the obvious...Oh well...Carry on...Oh , you forgot to insult the poster who asked if you lived in the desert...I know you will rectify that for us...Thanks....

The frame itself is 24". Add the drawer and it's about another 1". Any standard countertop always has some type of overhang.
:I have made a lot of kitchen cabinets, but I have never decided for : sure what standard 24 inch depth means--is it the overall depth of the : carcase, or is it the overall depth of the cabinet with drawers and : doors installed? A 24 inch carcase with overlay doors has a total : overall depth of 24 13/16" or so with overlay doors. Countertops are : 25" deep typically or maybe a bit more, and they won't overhang the : outer face of the cabinet by very much if you have overlay doors and a : 24" carcase. Everybody in the world knows the answer here but me, I : imagine.
Except me. What the hell is a 'carcase'?

http://www.psalmscat.com/images/large/CarCase_lg.jpg

I had my cabinets installed away from the wall with a countertop depth of 38" (2" cabinet overhang). That way I can put appliances against the wall and still have usable counter space in front. I had the space so I used it. Otherwise my galley-style kitchen would have a foot of wasted floor space. Also, this way the fridge is flush with the countertop so it doesn't stick out like it did with my old set up.

it.
I like this idea except I think I would opt to make the cabinets full depth and have some sort of sliding shelf arrangement to get to the area in back when you need to.
Another idea I like is to install the dishwasher on top of a 12 inch high cabinet. This allows you to load the dishwasher without having to bend over so far. The down side is that it raises the height of the countertop over the dishwasher but that makes a perfect spot for the microwave.
--

Roger Shoaf

LOL...Good one...
Joe wrote:

Also sometimes spelled carcass. It is the frame or body of the cabinet.
Joe wrote:

It is an alternate spelling for "carcass". I'm guessing he is calling the cabinets without tops a carcass. And Wiki says:
"Carcass (furniture), the part of a piece of furniture that holds inlays" but I'm not sure about that use?
Joe wrote the following:

A misspelled 'carcass'
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I write it as carcase, even thought it is pronounced the same as carcass. My cabinet bodies are things of beauty and alive - hardly a carcass. ;)
RicodJour wrote:

Carcase is an excepted alternate spelling for carcass and the Brits have been using it for a long time.
Joe wrote:

Duh, da box :)
--

dadiOH