Squirrels in my attic

Need advice. I've got squirrels in the attic. Been killing myself trying to get rid of them. Anybody have any suggestions. Traps, mothballs, fox urine, electronics, strobe light, playing the radio. I need something that you've done, and has worked, not just something you've read please. While battling these critters, I've come up with an online game of how I'd really like to hanlde the situation, to help alleviate some of the frustrations. Check it out.

squirrelcrazy99

have you tried sealing up their entryway into the attic, or is that not achievable?

Reply to
nowforsale

Chances are good that they have little ones there somewhere. If you just seal them out, they will try everything to get back in and do more damage. I suggest traps. Put the traps in the area where they are entering. Depending on the critter they may like peanut butter, apple slices, corn, or many other products.

If you decide to trap them live and release them, make that release spot more than just a couple of miles away or they will be back. Also note that many areas have legal restrictions on what you can do including restrictions on releasing them.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in news:WKQTg.6681$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

But if you live in a cold part of the country and take them that far away this late in the season they may starve over the winter as they will not have enough time to gather food and build a suitable nest.

Morvin

Reply to
Morvin Stayner

When I lived in Seattle i had squirrels in the attic of my 1920 A&C bungalow. I tired all you have mentioned what worked was sealing all of the opening but one. I then used ammonia to drive them from the attic (they ran around in the eaves). After which, I sealed the last entry point.

Good luck

Ammonia seems to have worked on my raccoons, too. I use an open pie tin and renew the ammonia now and then.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

If you live in east Texas, you're in luck. Squirrel season started October

1st (through Feb 4th). Killing squirrels at other times can result in a substantial fine or a trip to the Grey Bar Hotel.
I think bothering game animals is also an offense.

Best check with your local game and wildlife department.

Ain't nature grand?

Reply to
HeyBub

Learn to live with them buddy.... You built or bought a home on their rightfull property...only one who should be gotten rid of is you...

Reply to
cornytheclown

I had squirrels in the attic that were driving me crazy. I could hear them run up and down the rafters. I put four boxes of rat poison up there and within three days all was quiet! I patched the hole they made in the side of the house with hardware cloth.

Reply to
Phisherman

your first sentence seem to be one of if not "the" most important point made in this thread

if you trap them how will you know you got the little ones too?

Reply to
nowforsale

In my case I checked to find out when the first little ones would be due that year and I knew I had time.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I hired a pro. CHeck the phone book. They new how to find the babies and catch the big ones and relocated the whole bunch.

Reply to
Art

Has anyone tried any of the various "electronic sonic" devices?

mcfriendly

You need a weasle.

Reply to
Goedjn

"mcfriendly" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Only if you want to waste their money.

Even the FTC tries to stop their advertising periodically:

Murray Peterson

Then, of course, the question becomes "How do you get weasles out of the attic?". ;)

Reply to
Philip Lewis

How are they getting access to the attic? Are there trees close to the house? Overhanging branches that they are using as freeways? If so, get them trimmed back.

Reply to
Bill

Hunting seasons are for wildlife conservation with rules to govern wholesale hunting efforts of 1000's of hunters. Killing pests in/around your home does not fall under that criteria. Your right to protect your property from pests is a basic fundamental right that no one can take from you. To take the issue further, squirrels in your attic are no longer considered "wildlife" - they are domesticated pests.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

I've had squirrels in my last two houses. I tried spring-loaded rat traps, which didn't really work that well, and avoided poison, since I didn't want a bunch of rotting squirrels in the attic. Live traps work very well, I used peanut butter as a bait. Apparently they'll come back a long way, and pest control in my city recommended I drive them at least 10 miles away, which I did. I caught 13 squirrels in about 4 days, and that seemed to solve the problem.

The next step is to seal any holes they're using. They're good chewers, so you've got to have an effective solution. I packed any holes they were using with steel wool, then sprayed expanding foam to keep it in place, before covering it with wood. In a couple spots, they chewed the wood again, but the steel wool seemingly drives them crazy, and I didn't have any further problems.

You can't let them live in your house, or they'll cause problems. They like to use that plastic-coated wire to clean their teeth, and when they strip off the insulation, you've got a pretty significant fire hazard.

good luck! I'm go> Need advice. I've got squirrels in the attic. Been killing myself

Reply to
maurice

The ones I saw ran up the brick chimney. They can also climb up downspouts, across telephone wires, wooden siding, etc--the little rascals! Our issue is that there are a LOT of squirrels, not enough predators.

Reply to
Phisherman