Sprinkler wiring troubleshooting

-------------------------------------
The wiring for my sprinklers has come undone. What is the best way to reconnect? What tools would help me in identifying which wire goes to which? I have a section of three valves, and they have all been disconnected and now I have to figure out which wire to connect back so I can get them back under control.
Should I turn on one valve at the controls and...test which wire is registering current??? Or something??
##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive http://www.cabling-design.com/forums no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 29760 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Or connect two wires to a valve and see what turns that valve on. (If the wires are in pairs.) Then move those wires to the correct valve.
Then you wouldn't need to learn to use a voltmeter.
"roones3" wrote in message

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:02:27 GMT, stefanickandrew_at_comcast_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.c (roones3) wrote:

determine the wire colors coming to the valves and then look at control panel to see which zones have those colors attached... each valve will connect to the common and each color to the zone wire..
stefanickandrew_at_comcast_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.c (roones3) wrote in

There should be a common wire that goes to all the valves, then another wire that is specific to each valve. For example, I have black going to each valve as common. Then, Brown for station 1, Red for station 2, Orange for station three, etc.
Dave