Spiral fluorescent lighting - not getting anywhere near the 5 to 7 year life - anyone else?

Hard to believe this, except maybe for public bathrooms; I really haven't paid that much attention. But in private residences I almost never see fluorescent lighting. I've lived here 45 years. If the code exists as you say, it obviously is ignored.

Paul in San Francisco

Reply to
Paul MR

In my house I had bad luck with two DuraBright brand spiral bulbs made by TCP Inc. of Aurora OH. They were 23 watt bulbs (equivalent of 100w) with a 9 year warranty. In fact they lasted less than one year. Our other 20+ spiral bulbs of many different brands are from three to five years old and none has failed yet. Knock wood. Incidentally, the last package I bought contained 4 spiral bulbs and cost less than $3.00 for the four. I think the price was so low because of a special "instant rebate" subsidized by our power company, but it's been so long I really don't remember. I do notice that generally prices have plummeted since these bulbs were first introduced.

Paul in San Francisco

Reply to
Paul MR

Well, as he says, it's only been for a few years now.

I don't have any idea what the actual code is, but what I've "heard" is that the requirement only applies if you don't have automatic (motion sensor) light switches.

-frank

Reply to
Frank Cusack

several = few? This is new speak. Paul in San Francisco

Reply to
Paul MR

gimme a break, yes several = few.

Reply to
Frank Cusack

Found it.

Beginning 10/1/05, "high efficacy" (can be fluorescent but also other high efficiency technology) lighting MUST be used 100% in bathrooms, UNLESS an occupant sensor is used to control the light.

So, only for about a year and a half now, not "several years".

-frank

Reply to
Frank Cusack

Thanks so much for locating these regulations, Frank. As a mere home owner and not a professional in the building trades, I am dumbfounded by the extent of the minutia contained therein. Paul in San Francisco

Reply to
Paul MR

Florescent's lifetime is governed by the heater used to excite the plasma, the gas that floresces or glows. Incandescents by the thermal shock of the filament when it's turned no or off. When turned on, the filament expands; turned off it contracts. An incandescents longest life is when its never turned off (hmmm...maybe when it's never turned on?). The florescent's life is 'total time on'; efficiency is greatest when left on.

I'm probably in left field again but just my 2 cents (definitely not sense).

Reply to
xPosTech

That's just silly.

newsdbm05.news.prodigy.net!newsdst01.news.prodigy.net!prodigy.com!newscon04.news.prodigy.net!prodigy.net!newshub.sdsu.edu!news-out.readnews.com!news-xxxfer.readnews.com!news.misty.com!not-for-mail

7 year life - anyone else?
Reply to
John Doe

You ask someone for references, they go to the trouble of getting references for you, and then you continue spouting your lazy unsubstantiated opinion.

I've always understood that fluorescents are better for extended use.

The practice of leaving fluorescents on for extended periods of time in order to gain efficiency is well known and common, it's no secret to most of us. Modern ballasts still burn out, and that's full-size easy to design models.

Mine is obviously not intended for short term use, considering the fact it takes about one minute to fully shine.

newsdbm05.news.prodigy.net!newsdst01.news.prodigy.net!prodigy.com!newscon04.news.prodigy.net!prodigy.net!newshub.sdsu.edu!news-out.readnews.com!news-xxxfer.readnews.com!news.misty.com!not-for-mail

7 year life - anyone else?
Reply to
John Doe

This decrease in lifespan due to short on-off periods really needs to be indicated on CFB packaging - a recommendation by the mfr. that compact flourescents' usable life may be adversely affected if turned on and off several times a day.

Until then, I like Jim McLaughlin's suggestion of keeping the packaging and receipt and when the bulb blows in six months sending a letter to the manufacturer asking for a replacement...

Reply to
Kyle

It's not a secret. It's an old wive's tale :-)

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

If they did add a decreased life span warning for on/off, they could not make the claim that the lamp will last 7 years.

It does say on the package that the estimated life is using the lamp for 3 hours a day. This suggests that the lamp is designed to be turned on/off daily.

Reply to
Terry

Not unless was very small breaker or very large (or large numbers of) lamp(s)...

100W bulb draws nominally 1A or less at 120V. Typical minimum house wiring is 15A 14 ga and breakers include a time-delay so a 15A breaker is designed to not trip (iirc) on 30A for something like a couple of seconds. (I didn't look up the actual manufacturer/UL testing specs, but I believe the recollection isn't far off.) Fluorescents being more efficient on a per lumen basis gives them even larger margin even given the ballast starting.
Reply to
dpb