Spiral fluorescent lighting - not getting anywhere near the 5 to 7 year life - anyone else?

Page 3 of 3

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 20:23:53 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@cs.ubc.ca (Dave Martindale) wrote:

LED flashlights, with say 14 leds, are pretty good in total darkness, just as one AAA cell in a little penlight can do a lot, in total darkness. Probably even a lot better than the penlight.
But for real light, when there is light in the rest of the room, we have to wait.

The benefit of fluorescent lights is reduced greatly in places where they are only used for short periods of time, such as in bathrooms.
For several years, California has had a building code requirement that requires general lighting in bathrooms to be fluorescent. Creative builders meet this rule by providing a CFL integrated with the exhaust fan while having an incandescent light bar over the mirror.

For heaven's sake, WHY???
Creative

Bob wrote:

Hard to believe this, except maybe for public bathrooms; I really haven't paid that much attention. But in private residences I almost never see fluorescent lighting. I've lived here 45 years. If the code exists as you say, it obviously is ignored.
Paul in San Francisco

Well, as he says, it's only been for a few years now.
I don't have any idea what the actual code is, but what I've "heard" is that the requirement only applies if you don't have automatic (motion sensor) light switches.
-frank
Frank Cusack wrote:

Paul in San Francisco

gimme a break, yes several = few.

Found it.
http://www.energy.ca.gov/title24/2005standards/index.html
Beginning 10/1/05, "high efficacy" (can be fluorescent but also other high efficiency technology) lighting MUST be used 100% in bathrooms, UNLESS an occupant sensor is used to control the light.
So, only for about a year and a half now, not "several years".
-frank
Frank Cusack wrote:

Thanks so much for locating these regulations, Frank. As a mere home owner and not a professional in the building trades, I am dumbfounded by the extent of the minutia contained therein. Paul in San Francisco
On 4/3/2007 8:04 PM, Bob wrote:

plasma, the gas that floresces or glows. Incandescents by the thermal shock of the filament when it's turned no or off. When turned on, the filament expands; turned off it contracts. An incandescents longest life is when its never turned off (hmmm...maybe when it's never turned on?). The florescent's life is 'total time on'; efficiency is greatest when left on.
I'm probably in left field again but just my 2 cents (definitely not sense).
--
Ted
I wasn\'t born in Texas but

I don't get 5 years, but there is a disclaimer on the box stating under what conditions they expect the bulb to last x years.
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info
I use them but don't really keep track of the hours I get from them. I work maint for a hotel and we use them and date them. We probably have them on 7 hours a day and they go for 2-3 years and we use Phillips brand. I can say in the summer time it quite a bit cooler standing under a ceiling fan with the compact bulbs then the standard bulb at the house so it has to save on the cooling bill also. For the home I buy from Lowes and HD

I was told that name brand ones do have a better life expectancy than no name ones. Wonder if it was a commercial. ;)
tom @ www.MedJobSite.com

Bonnie Peebles wrote:

In my house I had bad luck with two DuraBright brand spiral bulbs made by TCP Inc. of Aurora OH. They were 23 watt bulbs (equivalent of 100w) with a 9 year warranty. In fact they lasted less than one year. Our other 20+ spiral bulbs of many different brands are from three to five years old and none has failed yet. Knock wood. Incidentally, the last package I bought contained 4 spiral bulbs and cost less than $3.00 for the four. I think the price was so low because of a special "instant rebate" subsidized by our power company, but it's been so long I really don't remember. I do notice that generally prices have plummeted since these bulbs were first introduced.
Paul in San Francisco