Spacing for wood shelves

Maybe it's what you (we) don't know that matters here: The location of the shelf in relationship to the studs.

Don't know if this ASCII art will work. The S's are studs.

Center the shelf and stud mounted brackets look fine.

_______________ S S

Shift the shelf to left and things start to look a bit funny.

_______________ S S

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Steel studs are useless for hanging anything that is very heavy.

The Fl code requires that you clamp the steel over wood if you are putting in stuff like hand rails. Sheet metal screws in steel studs will pull out

Reply to
gfretwell

And how thick??? You are likely ok on 32 inch centers (2 brackets) IF they are on the studs. If not on studs the design of the bracket and the installation/type of wall anchor used becomes CRITICAL.

Reply to
clare

It certainly isn't as grand as a 50" TV but that's what I did when I finally went to a flat screen. I just fastened a vertical 2x4 between the existing shelves and screwed the tilting bracket to it.

Reply to
rbowman

That's where I have an advantage. Screw visually appealing. Not having a wife saying 'Honey, that really doesn't look good.' streamlines a lot of home projects.

Reply to
rbowman

At least we can agree on a few things.

Reply to
rbowman

What's next? Either you conver to Mormon, or I go back to drinking beer?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Owner wants TV to sit on one shelf.

There will be 2 other shelves.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Could you please tell us why/if mounting the brackets on the studs is not "feasible"?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'll drink to that. Root beer, for now.

Reply to