Spacing for wood shelves

Page 2 of 2
On Friday, July 17, 2015 at 10:46:08 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Maybe it's what you (we) don't know that matters here: The location of the shelf in relationship to the studs.
Don't know if this ASCII art will work. The S's are studs.
Center the shelf and stud mounted brackets look fine.
_______________ S S
Shift the shelf to left and things start to look a bit funny.
_______________ S S
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 7/16/2015 10:50 PM, rbowman wrote:

So, the brackets go exactly in the center between the studs?
Pleasance says I'm a stud. Does that help any?
"rbowman" wrote in message
On 07/16/2015 08:33 PM, Andy wrote:

As far apart as your wall studs.
What a good answer. Five Stars here, folks!

Steel studs are useless for hanging anything that is very heavy.
The Fl code requires that you clamp the steel over wood if you are putting in stuff like hand rails. Sheet metal screws in steel studs will pull out
On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 19:33:40 -0700 (PDT), Andy

What size are the shelves? How thick, and how deep - and what kind of "hardwood"? And what kind of brackets? What load rating???
I'd be thinking 3 brackets 16 inches apart, so about 10 inches hanging off each end with 3/4 inch (1 inch nominal) hardwood. TV centered on the middle bracket would be on the conservative side - but 2 at 32 inch spacing would likely work - with full 1 inch - assuming at least a 10 inch shelf
On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 10:16:23 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

If I mount on the studs, the load rating probably would not be a major consideration.
The TV is a flat screen as opposed to the older picture tube models.
For the TV shelf, it will be about 18 inches wide.
Andy
On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 21:27:00 -0700 (PDT), Andy

The best way to deal with these TVs is to put a piece of 3/4" plywood on the wall, spanning at least 2 studs with hefty screws, then mount a TV bracket to the plywood. I usually paint it black so it looks like part of the TV bracket. This also gives you a convenient way to mount cable management hardware, maybe a 120v receptacle and since you are covering the wall, you can poke a hole to fish cables. Use a LV ring in the plywood over the hole.

Best answer yet. That's exactly what I would do. Gives you lots of flexibility. MLD
On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 21:27:00 -0700 (PDT), Andy

And how thick??? You are likely ok on 32 inch centers (2 brackets) IF they are on the studs. If not on studs the design of the bracket and the installation/type of wall anchor used becomes CRITICAL.
What size are the shelves? How thick, and how deep - and what kind of "hardwood"? And what kind of brackets? What load rating???
I'd be thinking 3 brackets 16 inches apart, so about 10 inches hanging off each end with 3/4 inch (1 inch nominal) hardwood. TV centered on the middle bracket would be on the conservative side - but 2 at 32 inch spacing would likely work - with full 1 inch - assuming at least a 10 inch shelf
Just like a woman, making a mountain outa a mole hill. LOL
On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 11:16:23 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That works if the shelf is centered across the studs. In some cases, that i s not aesthetically/physically possible. e.g if the shelf needs to be shift ed 5 inches to the left or right, stud mounted brackets would look really b ad, assuming the brackets are visible.
Obviously, hidden brackets could (and should) be mounted at the stud locati ons.
I could not mount my flat screen bracket to the studs because the layout of the room required that the TV be mounted "off-center" in relation to the s tuds. There were no mounting holes where the studs were and no way to drill holes at the stud locations due to the layout of the mount. Some rather la rge toggle bolts saved the day.