Spacing for wood shelves

Page 1 of 2
I will be installing some hard wood shelves onto sheet rock.
Shelves will be 61 " long.
One shelf will be supporting a 50 inch TV. (approx.)
How far apart should I space the brackets for the shelf for the TV ?
Thanks, Andy
On 07/16/2015 08:33 PM, Andy wrote:

As far apart as your wall studs.
On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 9:49:31 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:

It's preferable to mount on the wall studs, but sometimes that is not feasible.
Andy
On 7/16/2015 10:50 PM, rbowman wrote:

So, the brackets go exactly in the center between the studs?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Friday, July 17, 2015 at 8:19:39 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm not getting why the brackets can't go on the studs either. The TV alone is 50" wide, which would cover 3 typical spaced studs right there.
On 07/17/2015 07:26 AM, trader_4 wrote:

A TV is light enough that brackets attached to plasterboard with toggle bolts might hold it up. Maybe it's only me but I've found shelves tend to collect shit.
On Friday, July 17, 2015 at 9:55:42 AM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:

I agree that you can certainly mount the TV directly to the wall. It seems he wanted a shelf though, I assume for reasons other than just sitting the TV on it. The TV bracket to the wall method has other advantages, typical bracket it's easy to adjust the vertical height later if you want to. I guess you can do that with shelves too, depending on the type of shelf.
On Friday, July 17, 2015 at 10:02:06 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

I have a tilting/swiveling mount for my flat screen, based on the location of the "entertainment center" below it, I could not center the TV mount on the studs. I used big honking toggle bolts into the 3/4" thick plaster/gyps um board walls. It ain't going nowhere.
On 07/17/2015 08:02 AM, trader_4 wrote:

It certainly isn't as grand as a 50" TV but that's what I did when I finally went to a flat screen. I just fastened a vertical 2x4 between the existing shelves and screwed the tilting bracket to it.
On 7/17/2015 9:56 AM, rbowman wrote:

Young's Law #2: Horizontal surfaces attract clutter.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 07/17/2015 08:47 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

At least we can agree on a few things.
On 7/17/2015 10:54 PM, rbowman wrote:

What's next? Either you conver to Mormon, or I go back to drinking beer?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Saturday, July 18, 2015 at 7:16:25 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Owner wants TV to sit on one shelf.
There will be 2 other shelves.
Andy
On Saturday, July 18, 2015 at 10:53:32 AM UTC-4, Andy wrote:

Could you please tell us why/if mounting the brackets on the studs is not "feasible"?
On Saturday, July 18, 2015 at 3:34:01 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

They will be mounted on the studs.
On 7/18/2015 10:53 AM, Andy wrote:

I'll drink to that. Root beer, for now.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Friday, July 17, 2015 at 9:55:42 AM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:

BTDT

BTDT2
On Friday, July 17, 2015 at 9:26:40 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

I'll take a guess:
Required placement of shelf is not centered across stud bays. i.e. one end of the shelf is 2" from center of a stud.
Placement of brackets at studs would mean that they could not be centered/spaced evenly from the ends of the 61" shelf. Visually, not so appealing.
I didn't do any layout, that's just off the top of my head, but I think that's the issue.
On 07/17/2015 08:03 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

That's where I have an advantage. Screw visually appealing. Not having a wife saying 'Honey, that really doesn't look good.' streamlines a lot of home projects.
On 7/17/2015 9:26 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Designed by committee, most likely.
Me, I'd anchor into the studs, but what do I know?
--
.
Christopher A. Young