Spacing for wood shelves

I will be installing some hard wood shelves onto sheet rock.

Shelves will be 61 " long.

One shelf will be supporting a 50 inch TV. (approx.)

How far apart should I space the brackets for the shelf for the TV ?

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andy

As far apart as your wall studs.

Reply to
rbowman

What size are the shelves? How thick, and how deep - and what kind of "hardwood"? And what kind of brackets? What load rating???

I'd be thinking 3 brackets 16 inches apart, so about 10 inches hanging off each end with 3/4 inch (1 inch nominal) hardwood. TV centered on the middle bracket would be on the conservative side - but

2 at 32 inch spacing would likely work - with full 1 inch - assuming at least a 10 inch shelf
Reply to
clare

It's preferable to mount on the wall studs, but sometimes that is not feasible.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

If I mount on the studs, the load rating probably would not be a major consideration.

The TV is a flat screen as opposed to the older picture tube models.

For the TV shelf, it will be about 18 inches wide.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

The best way to deal with these TVs is to put a piece of 3/4" plywood on the wall, spanning at least 2 studs with hefty screws, then mount a TV bracket to the plywood. I usually paint it black so it looks like part of the TV bracket. This also gives you a convenient way to mount cable management hardware, maybe a 120v receptacle and since you are covering the wall, you can poke a hole to fish cables. Use a LV ring in the plywood over the hole.

Reply to
gfretwell

So, the brackets go exactly in the center between the studs?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm not getting why the brackets can't go on the studs either. The TV alone is 50" wide, which would cover 3 typical spaced studs right there.

Reply to
trader_4

A TV is light enough that brackets attached to plasterboard with toggle bolts might hold it up. Maybe it's only me but I've found shelves tend to collect shit.

Reply to
rbowman

I agree that you can certainly mount the TV directly to the wall. It seems he wanted a shelf though, I assume for reasons other than just sitting the TV on it. The TV bracket to the wall method has other advantages, typical bracket it's easy to adjust the vertical height later if you want to. I guess you can do that with shelves too, depending on the type of shelf.

Reply to
trader_4

I'll take a guess:

Required placement of shelf is not centered across stud bays. i.e. one end of the shelf is 2" from center of a stud.

Placement of brackets at studs would mean that they could not be centered/spaced evenly from the ends of the 61" shelf. Visually, not so appealing.

I didn't do any layout, that's just off the top of my head, but I think that's the issue.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

As far apart as your wall studs.

What a good answer. Five Stars here, folks!

Reply to
Col. Edmund J. Burke

So, the brackets go exactly in the center between the studs?

Pleasance says I'm a stud. Does that help any?

Reply to
Col. Edmund J. Burke

I have a tilting/swiveling mount for my flat screen, based on the location of the "entertainment center" below it, I could not center the TV mount on the studs. I used big honking toggle bolts into the 3/4" thick plaster/gyps um board walls. It ain't going nowhere.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Best answer yet. That's exactly what I would do. Gives you lots of flexibility. MLD

Reply to
MLD

Designed by committee, most likely.

Me, I'd anchor into the studs, but what do I know?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Young's Law #2: Horizontal surfaces attract clutter.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What size are the shelves? How thick, and how deep - and what kind of "hardwood"? And what kind of brackets? What load rating???

I'd be thinking 3 brackets 16 inches apart, so about 10 inches hanging off each end with 3/4 inch (1 inch nominal) hardwood. TV centered on the middle bracket would be on the conservative side - but

2 at 32 inch spacing would likely work - with full 1 inch - assuming at least a 10 inch shelf

Just like a woman, making a mountain outa a mole hill. LOL

Reply to
Col. Edmund J. Burke

That works if the shelf is centered across the studs. In some cases, that i s not aesthetically/physically possible. e.g if the shelf needs to be shift ed 5 inches to the left or right, stud mounted brackets would look really b ad, assuming the brackets are visible.

Obviously, hidden brackets could (and should) be mounted at the stud locati ons.

I could not mount my flat screen bracket to the studs because the layout of the room required that the TV be mounted "off-center" in relation to the s tuds. There were no mounting holes where the studs were and no way to drill holes at the stud locations due to the layout of the mount. Some rather la rge toggle bolts saved the day.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

BTDT

BTDT2