Spa Pump Question

Is more better?

I have to replace the pump/wet-end on my 4 person garden hot tub. It is a 3 HP 2 speed unit. The price for a 4 HP is almost the same as the 3HP. Does anyone know if it would it improve the pressure of the water if I upgraded to the 4HP or would it stress the unit to do that?

Make sure that the low speed is still the same specs as your present pump. Also be sure that these ratings are real, and not the usual industry "spa hype" numbers. My spa is a well known brand name, and they call the original 2-speed pump 2hp, when in fact it is really 1.5 hp. They can legally do this because if you apply higher than normal voltage to the motor, it COULD develop 2 hp without catching fire.

I replaced my phony rated 2 hp motor with a "real" 3 hp, and it is a great improvement. The low speed is still the same as the original, which is good, because that is the speed for the filter and heating cycles. You don't want to draw more power for that than what the original used.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

By the way, here's who I ordered from. They were excellent to deal with, and the prices were reasonable. If you have any questions that aren't answered on the site, they have a toll free number, too.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

What he said.

I did the same, only with a locally purchased motor. I found that many well pump and electric motor dealers sell way below spa suppliers' prices. Get some online prices and then check your local yellow pages under "pump", or "Motor, electric".

It took my local guy one business day to get me the motor, and I bought a 3 hp 220v Baldor (a very respected brand, rated in the real world) motor for about $140, and about $45 for the entire "wet end", aka the pump. The pump was incredibly easy to install on the motor, and I used the original wire and connector from the old motor. I had never done one before, and I was done in 15 minutes.

I'm sure the guy I bought the stuff from would have gladly installed the pump and cable for a reasonable price if I needed him to.

If you go local, make sure to mention that this is a replacement! Some places will give you a core refund for the old motor or may even be able to repair it for a very reasonable price.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y