Soundproofing under floor tile

Please help. I made the huge mistake of installing tile in the entryway of my condo. My obnoxious neighbor who constantly compains about noise has now said something about the noise coming from the tile. Now the association is demanding information about proper soundproofing. All we used was the adhesive (thin set) before laying the tile. There was already a layer of concrete under the old carpet and it never occurred to me that I needed to put something additional in between the cement floor and tile. I need to show that I used at least 3/4" of soundproofing. What can I tell them to satisfy their requirements. I don't think they will buy that we used 3/4" of thin set and I know nothing about this stuff. Any advice??

I don't know how you can use a soundproofing material under ceramic tile. Tile needs to be installed on a hard surface. Even if you did use a 3/4 " soundproofing material like plywood, I doubt it would help deaden the sound of walking on ceramic tile.

Maybe you'll get help to assist you in lying to your condo association, but we both know that's not the right thing to do. You should have addressed this prior to laying the tile. There are soundproofing products, but the condo's stance on 3/4" stuff is stupid - it's not necessary. There are thinner products that do a very effective job of interrupting structure-borne sound transmission. Sorry I am not able to assist you in locating a product to pretend you installed it.
The condo board might, just might, ask to see a receipt or pictures of the installation. What are you going to do then?
I apologize if anyone got the impression that I am trying to lie to the association. I have some very nice people there trying to help me who are fully aware that this work has already been done. I really had no clue I needed permission or that I needed to meet requirements to do the work. I am young, I am a first-time homeowner, and unfortunately I am having to learn things as I go along. I was wrong in not doing the proper research to begin with. I really don't know if what we used would meet their requirements or not, that is what I am trying to find out. I wasn't sure how thick a layer of thin set is typically used, measured in inches. I am just at a loss of what to do now. I can't go back in time and the work has already been completed. I have receipts of everything I have purchased to do the work. I don't know what they can tell by merely looking at the tile if that is what it comes to. Again, anyone who knows anything about this type of work that can offer advice, please reply. Thanks.
RicodJour wrote:

TECH1682 wrote:

Thin set isn't a sound-proofing material, regardless of thickness.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

<snip>
Any advice??
Instead of trying to do the impossible deal with the sound issue. Leave the tile alone, get some double back adhesive strips and install a nice cheap soft wall to wall carpet completely covering the tile. Invite Mr. Obnoxious over to see and hear your muffled footsteps as well as other condo officials. You have now shown that the complaint is groundless. In due time, (your patience will be rewarded) the carpet can be quickly removed and you can enjoy your tile floor. At then a small stylish rug could be laid down over the tile to keep up the sound deadening facade. Meanwhile, keep a log of all the irritatng things that Mr. O does that might be in violation of condo rules. Makes good ammunition at condo meetings if he steps too far out of line. Good luck.
Joe

Good advice.
I have a throw rug near my door.
Now, I know why I never want to own a condo.

A couple ideas.
Put carpet over your floor tile, and if the person below ever moves, maybe you can take the carpet off and the new owner won't mind.
Have everyone take off their shoes when they come in, unless maybe they are wearing sneakers.
Give everyone slippers or booties when they come in.
Many apartment buildings, rental or owned, require carpeting through out. Usually this is spelled out in the lease or, I assume, in the coop or condo papers. Not the deed but the bylaws or covenants or some such paper.