Snow King

I have a 10 year old snow thrower that uses the Tecumseh Snow King series engine. Having difficulty getting it to run smoothly.

Wish to start by ensuring the mixture screws are set properly. Old rule of thumb used to be close all the way then back of one and a half turns. Is that still true with the Snow King engines?

Reply to
Jim

You might find the manual for your engine here:

Rich256

Still a good point of beginning.

It probably wouldn't hurt to run injector cleaner with the gas if you can get it running. It is usually best to remove and clean the carburetor, replace the spark plug, reset the magneto but these may be deeper than you want to go.

Reply to
DanG

Don't know.

Raise the RPM on the engine and adjust the screw (s) by ear.

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

After checking settings, replacing sparkplug & spraying cleaner- don't waste your money on a rebuild kit. Chances are it will be about $50-60 from Pat's small engines plus

for a new carb.

I thought mine was an anomaly because, without touching an adjustment screw, I gave a quick pull on the starter and it started up. I've talked to several others now that had the same experience. 30 yr old Bolens that now runs like/better than a brand new machine.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

A contributing factor was the centrifugal advance was sticking. Unfortunately I had already messed up the carb settings before I had invested in a new can of WD-40.

Reply to
Jim

Jim,

I just rebuilt the carburetor on an 8 HP Snow King that I've had for

22 years. Runs like a new engine and the kit cost less than $10 at Northern Tool. The manual says one and a half turns for the main and just one for the idle on float carburetors.

dss

Reply to
dss