Snow King

I have a 10 year old snow thrower that uses the Tecumseh Snow King series engine. Having difficulty getting it to run smoothly.
Wish to start by ensuring the mixture screws are set properly. Old rule of thumb used to be close all the way then back of one and a half turns. Is that still true with the Snow King engines?

You might find the manual for your engine here:
http://www.tecumsehpower.com/frameset.php?page=/CustomerService/OperatorManuals/index.php
Still a good point of beginning.
It probably wouldn't hurt to run injector cleaner with the gas if you can get it running. It is usually best to remove and clean the carburetor, replace the spark plug, reset the magneto but these may be deeper than you want to go.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Don't know.
Raise the RPM on the engine and adjust the screw (s) by ear.
Oren --

After checking settings, replacing sparkplug & spraying cleaner- don't waste your money on a rebuild kit. Chances are it will be about $50-60 from Pat's small engines plus http://www.psep.biz/store/tecumseh_carburetor_parts.htm for a new carb.
I thought mine was an anomaly because, without touching an adjustment screw, I gave a quick pull on the starter and it started up. I've talked to several others now that had the same experience. 30 yr old Bolens that now runs like/better than a brand new machine.
Jim
On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 18:44:35 -0500, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

A contributing factor was the centrifugal advance was sticking. Unfortunately I had already messed up the carb settings before I had invested in a new can of WD-40.
Jim,
I just rebuilt the carburetor on an 8 HP Snow King that I've had for 22 years. Runs like a new engine and the kit cost less than $10 at Northern Tool. The manual says one and a half turns for the main and just one for the idle on float carburetors.
dss