snow blower repair

This is my first post. I have a 1973 Case snow blower attachment for a Case 220 garden tractor. After many years of clearing New York winter snows from my 150 foot driveway, this is not "blowing" snow, but more like "dribbling" it. I'm aware that all snow is not the same, but after 34 years of use, I know it is sick. MY QUESTION is: What should the clearance be between the auger and the housing? This might be called "gauging" the auger? I would appreciate all tips on what the setting should be, and the best way to do it. There are adjustments on the auger shaft.....any tricks on this??? Thank you....Bob

Reply to
bob

I need more info on this blower and model of tractor. Is this a front mount blower? Is the blower shaft driven from a hydro case or is it belt driven som where? My thinking is that something is sli[pping or the blower is not getting full power. Plus check the bearings, do they turn smoothly, can you grease them or are they sealed. Thats where I would start but then again maybe you have checked all of this out already

Reply to
Lyle2254

Here is a site I came across last week, for a snowblower impeller kit. Havent tried them, so I dont know if they work or not

2600

This is probably way too obvious but my blower has shear bolt four of them. Two on each side and they are designed to fail when an unmovable object is encountered.

they also just wear out with hard use and I keep replacement on hand. Are you sure your auger is turning when you engage it??

I know most blowers have a safety device or kill switch which prevent the operator from actually seeing the auger when it is engaged. Have a helper check it for you if you haven't already.

Reply to
Lawrence

Robert Barr