Snake sunning on my tentant's front steps

Page 1 of 2
I have a tenant who is frightened by a snake occasionally sunning on the front steps of the apartment. I have not yet seen the snake, though I assume it is a garter snake - harmless and common in Massachusetts.
Any thoughts on how I can get the snake to sun somewhere else?
Thanks, Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles http://OldRoads.com

Probably easier to educate the tenant.
--
Regards,
Is this a classic tenant that won't lift a finger to help him/herself, wants the landlord to fix/make good everything. Animals that are outside and move on their own accord should be worked out between the tenant and the animal, not needing you to intervene.

EXT wrote:

LOL, I like how you put it. Something makes me think the poor snake is not going to be happy about the arrangement :-)
D~
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ News and Discussions Community of the Net Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 218928 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 16:26:45 -0400, "EXT"

The tenant does need to make some decisions. If they called me, about an alligator in the pool... dial 911..!
-- Oren
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 11:43:59 -0700, OldRoads wrote:

Call animal control?

ever seen a Rat snake? i live in mass, and the first time (and everytime) i've seen one of those, well, let me tell ya, its a jarring experience.

Remove its head?
longshot wrote:

I normally remove the tail instead... :)
(Although for anything but venomous would rarely resort to such extremes...)
But, if it is frequenting the same area, probably means it has a nest nearby and while overall they're a good ecological niche-filler, having an infestation right at an entrance is probably not a good thing (tm)...
I'm thinking it has taken residence because there is some sort of food supply nearby.
Two thoughts.. Could there be mice or other small varmints that it is feedig on?
Another thought is that if the steps are a dark color they will absorb heat more quickly than if they are light in color. Maybe consider a color change.
As far as killing the snake.. I've killed my share of them but if there is a way to run it off that might be more humane.
It may be living under the steps or in a crawl space. Maybe look for it's point of entry and block it.
Kate O|||||||O

put some pieces of carpet tape here and there on the stoop. If you want it to work the first time, put the carpet tape on top of some clear plastic. (Works for pets on the sofa, too)

Snakes aren't territorial, so if you can just scare it away a couple of times it will move on to a different location. In the meantime, whether its a garter snake or rat snake, it's helping rid the area of other undesireable critters --

It could also be a copperhead.(venomous)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I think you will have problems with your tenant if you continue to describe him in such unflattering terms.

Huh? What exactly was the unflattering term the OP used?

Didn't he say his tenant was a snake who sunned himself on the front porch?
:)

I'm the original poster with the snake problem. What unflattering terms did I use in describing my tenant????
Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles http://OldRoads.com

Oy. Anyway, I saw the snake yesterday. It's a garter snake, maybe 2 feet long. I could have dispatched him with a shovel. Call me a weenie but I'll try the mothballs and other stuff first. There are plenty of other places for him to hang out and enjoy his snake life (the snake, not the tenant. I like the tenant.).
Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles http://OldRoads.com

Good for you. No reason to kill a snake that is no threat to people. I call that a mature, intelligent reaction, not a weenie one!
Jo Ann