Smoke alarms ( hard wired )

Is there a life expectancy for smoke alarms that are hard wired into a home.
Today the hard wired smoke alarms went off, nothing burning in the house.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Tom
Are the alarms accessible in the sense that you can vaccum up dust, etc from them ? I have read that dust and debris buildup can cause alarms to go off.
I would also give them a "test", using a match (with the hot flame), and then ten minutes later, test them again with smoke, to see if they go off.
If you are not absolutely sure, just replace them.
--James--

home.
the match theory only works on heat detectors. Today's modern smokes are usually ion or a combination of ion and heat. Take them apart blow them out with compressed caned air. Clean with a q-tip and to not touch any of the parts inside with your fingers. The oils on your hands will have you doing this again in a few months. I clean mine yearly as well as testing them.
That happens to us occasionally - usually around 3AM :-(
For us, it seems to occur when it is very humid.

home.
tflfb wrote:

If I am not mistaken, it is now suggested they be replaced every ten years.
Are you sure they do not have a battery back-up? If they don't, it may be as simple as blowing they dust out of them, making sure not to cause any damage to them.
I had this problem, posted to the group, and was advised to blow the things out with compressed air. I did this (ordinary air-compressor air, no fancy canned air), and it cured the problem. Spider webs are often a problem, apparently.

years.
as
damage
tflfb wrote:

Could be insects crawling into them. I've had that happen in our home. A puff of insect spray around them fixes that problem.
Jeff
--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

All smoke alarms should be replaced within 10 years of Installation.

Our hard-wired smoke alarms are 14 year old. They get tested about once a week when the SWMBO burns the dinner.
On 9 Apr 2004 07:02:54 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@ukgateway.net (Gel) wrote:

I turned on my ceiling fan after a long period of inactivity and found that the dust expelled from the fan blades activated the smoke detectors. Seamus J. Wilson

home.
house.