smell from septic system

Sometimes when I am outside I can smell the septic system. Is this a sign of impending doom or just related to all the rain that we have had? The condition seems to be worse when I run the washing machine and when the lawn is cut and the sun is out the smell is gone.
There are no soggy sections in the lawn. Usually have the septic serviced every 2 years or so.
treat your tank with one of many available treatments... the chemistry may be a little out of whack... I'm assuming that it doesn't need to be pumped (when is the last time it was emptied?)
raymondj wrote:

The odor is probably coming from the vent pipe. I have this problem too and am looking for a solution.

Could you give an example of one of the "many treatments" that are available?
Most "treatments" are fraudulent, a septic tank and drainage bed should get everything it needs from regular use. Too many chemicals or chlorine can help kill a septic tank. Most treatments that are sold to improve a septic tank action actually churn up the solids at the bottom so that they transfer and plug up the drainage bed.