small kerosene space heaters

Page 2 of 2

With a lot of cold stack above the stove, it's easy to imagine having a cold down draft. I doubt that a draft inducer fan is possible. Between having uncertain combustion air, and cold down pressure, it's got to be hard to make the stove work.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
zxcvbob wrote:

It should work better in the basement than any other floor because of the length of the flue to that level. Must be something else going on.

You don't want an unvented heater in the house! You can put a monitor heater there and vent it up the chimney. Another good option is a pellet stove down there.

I have a small wood stove in the basement along with a fairly large wood furnace boiler. They both work great. The boiler for really cold weather. The small one for spring and fall.
Do you have furnace heat for the rest of the house? Cut a vent in the supply air, to use some furnace heat into the cellar.
On 01/01/2010 12:51 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

It's hot water baseboard wood boiler.
Kerosene $9 a gallon today at HD. $37 for 5 gallons.
Zowie!
On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 16:16:47 -0800, "Steve B"

Check out the price for fire wood :-/

$4 a cord where I live.
On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 16:16:47 -0800, "Steve B"
Under $3.50 at the local convenience store. Anybody buying it at Home Depot is an idiot.
--
A computer is] like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no mercy. --
Joseph Campbell

That's not a problem with the stove and won't be overcome by anything that needs a chimney. The basic problem is that you have a negative relative air pressure in the basement, which pulls air IN through any opening that exists. Occupied quarters require a positive air pressure difference in order to push gases out, not pull them in. The solution could be as simple as giving that fireplace an opening to get outside air or as complex as a redesign of the whole house's venting system overall, or anything in between like a mislocation of the chimney w/r to prevailing winds and air deflection from the roof. With the info given and my small experience I couldn't hazard a guess, but I'll guess some here can. Or did? I'm not about to sort thru all those "me too" posts to see<g>. At any rate, without a positive air differential, no chimney is going tooperate properly and another source wouldn't be the answer, depending on how stiff the backdraft is.
I'd be looking into the pressure differentials, especially if that negative is typical throughout the house, which is likely. Cooking smells must linger forever.
Twayne

Right; and a smoldering fire could kill everyone silently.

Perhaps, but every nook and cranny of the basement that passes any outside air at all will still be pulling in, and heating, cold air for no good reason.

Wick? I'd advise against that for anything you want to run for long periods of time. Lots of gases collection.

Propane or NG much better unless I misunderstand what you mean.

But ... what's to remove the combustion gases from the house? With negative pressure, nothing.
IMO anyway,
Twayne

--
Often you'll find excellent advice on a newsgroup.
Before you use that advice though, consider the

Kerosene heaters stink and greatly increase risk of fire. They are not recommended--ask your local FD.