Small garage door

I'm in the process of designing a shed for the back yard and while talking to my neighbor he suggested that an overhead door might be the way to go.

The shed is going to be 12x12 and I was planning on having a 5' wide door. Does anyone know of a supplier that makes an overhead door about 5' or 6' wide and less than 8' tall?

Gordon Shumway

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Not familiar with a supplier for that size door. What about a "rolladen shutter". The door would roll up on the outside, giving you more room inside the shed?

Reply to
Oren

Go by the nearest rental storage place, and read the nameplates on their doors. The small size bays are about that wide. And like a venetian blind, they can make it whatever height you want. A typical big-box will only want to sell the usual 'garage' sizes.

Having said all that, I am dubious. Traditional barn doors or sliding panels are a lot cheaper and more forgiving if the shed moves around, and you can get away with a less beefy roof structure. Not to mention the inside space an OH door takes. A rolldown security shutter would work, but being a niche item, those are usually pretty expensive.

Off the wall thought- is there a truck salvage dealer near you? An overhead door off a delivery truck sounds like about the size that you are looking for. Of course, they will make you paint over the 'UPS' or whatever.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Try here :

BTW is that you ALF

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Guys,

Both of those are good ideas. I'll investigate and see what I find.

Thanks

Gordon Shumway

Reply to
Gordon Shumway