Small engine repair question

I hope I'm in the right NG.

I have a 36" exmark metro walk-behind mower. It has the Kawasaki 460v- s14 engine. It is very hard to start.

First I dis-assembled the carb and blew out all passages. Carb bowl looked clean and main jet was clear. Still no start.

I dis-connected the ground wire at the coil so that no safety switch would affect it, altho I have always had spark.

I dis-assembled the carb again, this time removing the pilot jet. It looked clean on the outside, but I blew it out the best I could. I have a new one on order and plan on replacing it when it comes in.

I feel it is a carb problem, but I am not sure. It will start occasionally and run great. But most of the time, it just won't start.

It has an automatic compression release. I don't know how these work. maybe that is the problem, I don't know. If you know, does it open the exhaust valve a little while pull starting it?

I don't think it is timing since it runs great when it does start.

Any advise wil be helpful..........I think. :-)

Thanks,

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

Don Young

If it starts right up using starting fluid (available at Pep boys, Walmart, etc for under $5.00), then it is 99% likely a fuel problem. If starting fluid does not ease the starting, then the spark plug is the most likely problem. You don't say how old or if it was always hard to start, etc.

Reply to
hrhofmann

To All that responded:

The first thing I did was replace the spark plug because I also have heard that they may work outside the engine, but not under compression.

It has started on occasion with strting fluid, but not always. Sometimes it will start without the starting fluid. This is the reason I cleaned the carb twice. I am hoping the new pilot jet fixes it, but not too hopeful it will. This pilot jet is different from the others I have seen. I usually run a guitar string thru the pilot jet, but in this case, the pilot jet is removable from outside the carb and doesn't have a straight path thru it, just has a series of small holes on the side of it. Confusing to me.

I am also wondering about the "automatic compression release" or stuck exhaust valve.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

if its cold where you are and you have 30w oil in it,that can make it hard to get started.try 5w30 oil. try it with the air filter off , ive seen a bunch,the guy would oil the foam precleaner,it soaks right into the paper and air wont go thru the paper.

ds549

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Does the choke close, for starting? Is there a good gasket between the carb and the engine block? I've seen motors where the gasket is missing or dried out. So, the engine sucks air through the gap, instead of drawing gas air mix. You mention havinig the carb off, a couple times. Please try a light bit of Permatex 2b non hardening gasket stuff on the gasket. Very messy, removes from skin by using alcohol drygas. But much easier to be extra careful, and not get it on you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
Russ