Slooooow!

Page 4 of 5
On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 12:19:36 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

IDK about pirates, but various ISP may want to differentiate pricing for commercial users who are hosting substantial websites from casual home users. For a typical home user, 5mb up is plenty, while if you had some heavy usage commercial thing you're trying to run out of your house, it might not be.
On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 06:41:17 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

5m may be pushing it but the 10 I have seems to do all I need to do. When the kids are here, I can support a couple streams and still read my Email.
On Saturday, April 9, 2016 at 11:43:40 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

What are you or the kids doing that requires more than 5 MB up or even gets close to needing that?
On 04/09/2016 09:41 AM, trader_4 wrote:

If I wanted to backup a few TB of data to "the Cloud" (and could afford to do store it there) 5mbps would be impractically slow.
Perce
On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 11:43:47 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

5 meg up is a lot faster than most US connections. Most are less than a meg
On Saturday, April 9, 2016 at 11:43:51 AM UTC-4, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Does it make a big difference if that backup takes 30 secs or an hour? Seems backups can be auto scheduled to run at 3AM. And even if it's running in the background, PCs today have the HP to do that without you even noticing.
On 09/04/2016 16:43, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

--
Bod

On 04/08/2016 10:34 AM, Bod wrote:
[snip]

Could it be a way to discourage people from operating servers, and so using more bandwidth?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

As I said earlier when you are talking about content producers like Comcast, they may just be trying to slow down pirates.
On 04/07/2016 01:26 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[snip]

Here, the cable ISP just (almost a year ago) started using bonded channels for downlink, explaining the 150Mbps max. They are not yet using bonded channels for uplink.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

You have almost 260 people per square KM in UK so one fiber will serve a bunch of people. We are a tad more spread out here. We have 30 per sq/km overall and some states are more like 2-5 people per sq/km in some western states. They are not stringing 20 miles of fiber to serve 30 or 40 households.
On 07/04/2016 20:54, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

only a handful of houses plus many farms out in the sticks. Scotland and Wales have mountainous terrain.
--
Bod

Those are the 5% I imagine. The US has not really put that much emphasis on getting fiber to the home. The cable companies have no real incentive since coax meets the needs of their primary business, TV and the telephone companies are slow to expand "last mile" infrastructure when everyone is going wireless. I think the biggest thing we could do to unleash this business would be to unbundle content from data and create competition in the data business. It probably would result in data being metered by the gigabyte but I don't see a huge problem with that. If they are selling data, they will be trying to get you to use more so faster would be better for them. Competition would control prices. Right now, virtually all "cable" operates as a monopoly.

They did install lots of fiber for our town that services only about 30,000 people or less. It was not done by the cabe company,but a fiber optics company. Seems there are lots of unused fiber cables all over the US that was installed,but not used. The fiber companies are jumping on those lines for internet and TV.
On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 16:52:03 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

There is a rumor that they put fiber in front of my house 30 years ago in the Sprint build out. but the new phone company says no. I think it may have been destroyed or they just do not now it is there. Fifteen years ago when I got a "locate" they flagged 3 telco cables and the last time it was only 2. They obviously lost one and it may have been the fiber.
On 07/04/2016 21:52, Ralph Mowery wrote:

--
Bod

On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 00:11:28 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster

It used to be all that way before the internet and they ran on leased 4 wire. That was very secure but expensive. I remember on the early 90s one company was leasing space on a TV cable, getting the equivalent of a T1 line and the question was, "how secure was that"? In those days it was pretty secure because the hardware to extract that data was pretty rare but it was going to every set top box on that node.
On 07/04/2016 21:43, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I get unlimited data and no traffic shaping etc, but not all ISPs offer that here, but in general the data allowances from those companies are normally fairly generous. Is that the case on your side?
--
Bod

On 04/07/2016 01:03 PM, Bod wrote:
[snip]

The maximum here (medium-size town in Texas) is 150Mbps down / 7.5Mbps up. They're talking about eventually having 1Gbps.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 08/04/2016 16:19, Mark Lloyd wrote: