Slooooow!

Page 3 of 5
On 04/07/2016 02:26 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

We have Charter -- a somewhat upscale package: 60mbps down, 4mbps up. There's a 100mbps down package, but still, I think, only 4mbps up. Even the business packages are not symmetrical, as far as I know.
Perce
On 07/04/2016 19:51, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

here. They are:
40 down 10 up and 80 down 20 up
Some, like mine, do a 38 down 1.9 up and 76 down 19 up
There are a few that do 50 down 10 up.
--
Bod

On 07/04/2016 19:58, Bod wrote:

upload speed. Mindblowing!
--
Bod

At a certain point you are only going as fast as the site you are downloading from and the slowest link in that path. Speeds like that might be appropriate for a business with lots of users but for your casual homeowner it is just bragging rights.
On 07/04/2016 21:00, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

--
Bod

forgot the speed,but did get a tour with a group through their equipment room. They have the fastest speed in the state. Somehow got in before there was some kind of speed ruleing on how fast they could run. I think it is either a gigabit or terabit. This is for a county of probably less than 50,000 people.
For the home user, I think there are lots of sites that have a hard time sending back even the 20 meg or so that many are rated for on the downlink.
On 07/04/2016 21:48, Ralph Mowery wrote:

estimate of the mimimum speed you are likely to get and that is generally adhered to. So in effect if they say the minimum is, say, 20 down, then you'll be pretty sure that it will be at least what they say. They err on the conservative side with their estimates. eg; My ISP quoted a minimum of 19 and max of 31 down, when in effect I get a steady 50 down.
--
Bod

On 4/7/2016 11:34 PM, Bod wrote:

Very similar in the U.S.. When I had DSL they looked at the distance from the Central Office and told me the speed I'd get. They charged the same regardless of the speed. Mine was very low. My friend's was high.
Then AT&T ran FTTN and used DSL for the last 100-1000 feet. They could match Comcast's speed. Then they ran FTTH and started offering gigabit service ($70 per month if you let them spy on you). Now Comcast has run FTTP (fiber to the pole) with the last 100 feet or so on coax and when they light it up later this year they can do gigabit service too, though the reality is that most residential installations will see no benefit from 1000 Mb/s versus 100 Mb/s or even 50 Mb/s.
Since running fiber is expensive, they carefully pick and choose where to run it.
On 08/04/2016 15:18, sms wrote:

Understood and thanks for the info.
--
Bod

On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 4:00:37 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Same thing with upload speed, for most of us at least. I never upload anything of size. All the stuff of size is coming down. I doubt that having anything above maybe 1 MB up would make any difference for me.
On 08/04/2016 15:06, trader_4 wrote:

the Cloud.
--
Bod

On 04/07/2016 02:12 PM, Bod wrote:
[snip]

I can see one of the ads (for 1Gb internet) that shows you can download a movie in 32 seconds.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 08/04/2016 16:32, Mark Lloyd wrote:

about a second -ish at that rate.
--
Bod

says...

I have Charter too, and did a couple of tests. Got 65.15 down and 4.37 up at best, and 52.49 up and 4.16 down at worst. BTW, I did clear the cache between tests.
I don't think I would ever be happy with anything less after using cable.
--
RonNNN

snipped-for-privacy@charter.net says...

Swap those 'up/down's' around on the second set of numbers. {sigh, another brain fart!}
--
RonNNN

On 07/04/2016 21:00, RonNNN wrote:

--
Bod

[snip]

The packages here are (in Mb) 50/5, 75/7.5, 100/7.5, and 150/7.5. They're not using bonded channels for upstream, which may explain why the upload speed is limited.
BTW, as I write this, I look at my cable modem to verify that only one (downstream) of the LEDs is blue (blue indicates bonded channels).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 08/04/2016 16:28, Mark Lloyd wrote:

speeds compared to here in the UK. I assume that it is just the rate that they've decided to offer.
--
Bod

If I was a conspiracy guy I would suggest that the content providers want to slow down pirates. When you understand Comcast (one of the biggest broadband providers) also owns NBC and Universal studios, it is not that far out. I am surprised that they are not blocking binary usenet groups and bit torrent feeds.
On 08/04/2016 17:18, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

--
Bod