Sliding glass doors

I have a 6 foot sliding glass door assembly as one of the entries into my hobby area. I need to bring in some bigger equipment and am wanting to know if the fixed glass part of the assembly (3 feet fixed, 3 feet sliding) is at all removable. I know the slider can be removed by lifting it up and swinging it away from its lower track. Is there any way to remove the fixed pane?
All answers appreciated.
Ivan Vegvary
On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 22:34:07 -0700 (PDT), Ivan Vegvary
area. I need to bring in some bigger equipment and am wanting to know if the fixed glass part of the assembly (3 feet fixed, 3 feet sliding) is at all removable. I know the slider can be removed by lifting it up and swinging it away from its lower track. Is there any way to remove the fixed pane?

Short answer, yes and you should be able to take out the glass and frame assembled. Just watch which screws you take out., You don't want that glass falling out. I bet if you can track down the brand there is a picture on the net
On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 22:34:07 -0700 (PDT), Ivan Vegvary
area. I need to bring in some bigger equipment and am wanting to know if the fixed glass part of the assembly (3 feet fixed, 3 feet sliding) is at all removable. I know the slider can be removed by lifting it up and swinging it away from its lower track. Is there any way to remove the fixed pane?

I took out the sliding part once. Double glass. No ore than 3 feet wide. . It was really heavy, far more than I expected. I wished I'd had a helper, and was glad the bottom didnt' slide away from me when I rested it on the floor for a few moments, or if I slipped a little. . If I did it again, I'd have a helper, and I'd know exactly where I was going to rest it, and have a clear path to that spot, and something ready already to keep the bottom from sliding out or the top from tipping over.
Ivan,
In my experience, The stationary door is screwed to the frame. Usually 2 or 4 screws. Once unscrewed the door may be lifted and the bottom edge swung clear of the frame's track.
Dave M.
Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Yes. In fact, you can take out the entire frame. Been a while since I did it so I can't tell you the details but it wasn't all that hard...an examanation of the screws should lead you to the details.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

The fixed panel of my door has an L bracket top and bottom as you stand in the channel and face the edge of the fixed panel. Once the slider has been removed, the stationary panel can be removed by taking the screws out of the L brackets, sliding the stationary panel towards the center so that it clears the frame and then (I'm lying here...more later) lifting the panel out.
It's heavy, so I'd have some help available.
About my lying....
With most sliding doors the panels, sliding or fixed, are removed by lifting them up and swinging the bottom out. My door, which is wood on the inside, has a molding strip across the interior of the frame that, once removed, allows the tops of the panels to be tilted into the room and then lifted out of the track. There is no room above the panels to lift them while they are in the track.
I think that the design of my door is more secure because you need to remove 8 screws from inside the house in order to remove either panel. There's no way to lift it from the outside and swing the bottom in.
Since you said that your sliding panel is removed by "lifting it up and swinging it away from its lower track" I can only assume that your fixed panel is removed the same way, once the L brackets are removed.
On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 12:13:09 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

hobby area.  I need to bring in some bigger equipment and am wanting to know if the fixed glass part of the assembly (3 feet fixed, 3 feet sliding) is at all removable.  I know the slider can be removed by lifting it up and swinging it away from its lower track.  Is there any way to remove the fixed pane?

Sounds like an Andersen...

Crest line
Oren,

That's not been my experience. The stationary door comes out first and goes in last. If the sliding door could be removed first then burglers would have easy access to your home.
Dave M.
The sliding doors I've seen, have to be unlocked and partly slid towards open in order to remove. When the door is locked, it's bound on the edge, by the jamb.
That's not been my experience. The stationary door comes out first and goes in last. If the sliding door could be removed first then burglers would have easy access to your home.
Dave M.

Pella makes some door like that. Once locked though, it would not be so easily removed.