slate in bedroom ?

Page 3 of 3

If this is what you want then do it. I personally have an all tile home. I have had wood and do not like the damage it sustains under normal use. I am into low maintenance.
You do not mention the area of the country your in. Slate in the winter could cool off your bedroom several degrees. I live where heat is almost an after thought so slippers and a set of sweats in the coldest of days is fine with me.

I would not buy a house with slate in the bedroom.
Depends where you live. We have slate in our bathrooms - foyer - kitchen. It feels great on your feet in the morning - we live in Florida. As one gets older - it is more stable on your balance to have tile or wood - instead of carpet. Also carpet builds up dirt - pollen - and mold - even when you clean it often.
Currently my home is half tile - half carpet. I plan to swap out the carpet with wood shortly.
Harry
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

homi snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Just another tick mark in the "I would love slate floors in the bedroom" column.
But I wouldn't put it in, because I'd worry about the resale value ;)
-- Jennifer
heh heh. very helpful : )
What area in Colorado? Vail, Keystone, Aspen?? All very cold in winter. Worked in the Keystone Vail area for 13 years. WW

I'm in Denver, we tend to warm up during the day here with some good sun
In alt.home.repair homi snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I think that you shouldn't give a rats ass about re-sale value: you're living there, do what you enjoy. While some people may indeed be taken aback by stone in the bedroom, others will be highly jazzed up by it. You're not building a house to sell, you're making you home a nicer place for you. Resale value shouldn't be a concern.
I think it's an awsome idea.
John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC\'d posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two deviations to get cool.

I'd be OK with slate in the bedroom..
Banty
homi snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

You must be planning on staying a while since you are considering a fairly big and expensive project. I have no clue what it would do to the resale value. Depending on structure and climate, it might make the room a good deal more difficult to keep warm in winter. I once had a little house on slab, poor insulation, and the north end was much colder in winter due to wind and cold slab.

Question - can carpet be installed over slate? Or even a large area rug provided, to go with the house, for sale when staging the house for sale?
That way, he can get what he *wants* to live with, then turn it around for sale when he's ready to sale.
Unless one is going to move in the next coupla years, it doesn't make sense to be making someone else's house.
Banty

Norminn wrote:

Maybe feel warm, but the room will not be any colder with slate.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On 29 Sep 2005 23:40:50 -0700, homi snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

It may. Not too many people want a slate floor, especially in the bedroom. A wood floor is an easier selling point.