Side Exhaust AC and Venting deck panels for AC

I have a rental townhouse where I need to install A/C. First let me say that the AC unit MUST go under the deck. All of the housing units with A/C, except one, have it under the deck. It will be a side-discharge unit, i.e. or the same unit with the Carrier brand or . Some owners have put in standard vertical discharge units but they don't work well because the discharge blows straight up onto the underside of the deck and even with venting under the deck the air-flow is constricted.

I need to vent the existing siding covering the deck to maximize air flow, in and out, without making it look too terrible and was looking for suggestions.

Here's a jpg of what the deck looks like: .

Some of the owners just cut a big rectangular hole and covered it with chicken wire, but eventually they will be forced to replace their covers because they look terrible and did it without permission.

I was thinking of something like this

Whatever I do, will eventually be done to all 12 decks.

Reply to
sms

I assume the hole in the far wall is the opening in question. If so, that thing you've found is probably as good as you're going to get. Another possibility would be one of the large gable vents. But one has to wonder if that is anywhere near sufficient to adequately get air in and out. If the AC is positioned so that air blows out the opening, how does replacement air get in?

Reply to
trader_4

I think your idea will work with a couple of caveats. The opening area must be at least as large as the discharge area of the AC unit. There must also be en equal or greater amount of inlet space for makeup air.

You may also want o put a baffle under the deck to channel the air to the vent opening and not have hot air blowing up from the bottom while sitting on the deck.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I plan to have the egg-grate grilles made as large as the side panels will allow. The problem that people have run into is having too small of an inlet.

A baffle is a good idea. I can hang it from the underside of the deck using some stainless steel chains or cables.

Reply to
sms