Shower water conservation

Is there a timed valve or other solution to conserve shower water consumption? I already have a flow restrictor but with teenagers taking a

20-30 min shower the usage is still 34-51gals. I have heard of some European values which go on for approx 30 secs then shut off, requiring another 'push' for 30 more secs.
Reply to
HL

Cattle prod after 4:45

Reply to
m Ransley

turn off one of the heaters in the hot water tank (if electric), or get a small 10 gallon one until they've left the house.

when i was traveling through alaska, wash houses had pay showers. deposit a quarter for 2 minutes.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

There are lots of timed valves and shower controls. You will not like the price.

Lower the temp on the water heater or better if electric put an timer on it. They will leave when the hot water is exhausted. Problem will solve it self if you or your SO shower first.

I had a friend with 3 girls that had the same problem. He had a solar water heater. I shut off the electric back up. First day there was some screaming and after that it was ok. I had kids at home and used an timer. 10 minutes and out, unless your taking an bath. Then it was 13 minutes.

All of the controls in the world will not help a child problem until the parent puts the law down.

Reply to
SQLit

There are also low-flow shower heads with a shut-off valve built in. Simply shut off or reduce the flow while soaping up and return full flow to rinse...

Of course, this too will require cooperation from family members...

My biggest problem in a house full of girls is getting them to use the lint/hair trap...

Rick

Reply to
Rick

This thread reminds me of the "Navy Showers" I've seen on some ships. They had a good size metal ring hanging down on a chain which operated a spring loaded valve to let water flow through the showerhead. You were supposed to quickly wet yourself, lather up, and quickly rinse the soap off.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia