Shopping for a snow blower, maybe.....

Good GAWD- a British clone of a 1950 Gravely!!!! Talk about setting technology back 60 years.

Reply to
clare

I used to have a boat, sold it a few years ago, never paid any attention as to how the pump was marked.

I found this site that lists places alcohol free is available by state. For NJ, only one place listed and in the details it's from someone who drove by, didn't stop to try to actually buy it and it was $10 a gallon.

You would think that since there is generally agreement that the best practice is to run it dry that they would provide a drain so you could easily empty the tank. I always try to manage the gas when using it so that little is left, then just run it dry at the end of the season. If I remember.....

I've also kept mixed 2 stroke gas for long periods, left it in weed wackers, etc with no problems.

Reply to
trader_4

Per snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca:

A track-drive Honda was calling out to me a few years back.

But then I started wondering about transport issues. i.e. If I want to clear paths in a park that is a quarter-mile from my driveway, how am I going to get the machine to the park? Right now, I just put my walk-behind garden tractor with snow thrower into high gear and walk...

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca:

Italian.... but you've got the idea.

British implementation of rust proofing: "Oil Seals".

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

The tread on my 9HP self propelled are so aggressive that I'm not sure a track drive would be all that more effective. I certainly haven't had any issues going up and down a 250' mountain side driveway. The previous owner put chains on, but those don't do a whole lot as they are almost swallowed between the tread..

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle

My memory is getting bad. I wonder if it's the hyperparathyroidism I just learned about.

I had a '50 Olds with a 300 ci engine. a '65 Pontiac with a 318 a '67 Pontiac with, I guess you're right, a 400. and a '72 or 73 Buick with a 455.

After that, I had LeBarons with toy engines. They didn't even melt the snow off the hood.

I thought I had a 389 in there somewhere, but I guess not.

Reply to
micky

I have 2 snowbowers which I finally quit using..........

Snowlowers toss rocks way better than longer than snow:(

So will the toss area have anything that can be damaged? Errant rocks show up any time:(

since your older like me, at least check into a 4 wheel quad with a snow blade, pushing even a power driven snowblower is hard work

Reply to
bob haller

I'd tie a toboggan behind my Yamaha and ride. Not terribly fast, but easier than walking!!

Reply to
clare

Close - it was a 303 Rocket

More likely a '65 Plymouth with a 318. 65 Pontiacs were 389 or 215 unliss they were Canadian,with 230,283 or 327 Chevvies

Reply to
clare

What makes you think a track type won't go just as fast? An Abrams tank will do 50mph, won't it? I'd be more worried about longevity of the treads. Tires are cheap, I'll bet the treads aren't

Reply to
trader_4

I drove a 65 Canadian Parisienne convertible for a short time. 283 Powerglide. It was originally white with red interior and black top, when the boss got it, it had been painted an ugly green. We painted it Cherry red and it looked great and sold before we got it re-assembled (It had sat on the lot for almost 3 years when green until I drove it and told the boss to paint it.)

I also owned a 1985 LeBaron Mark Cross Town and Country wagon with the Mitt so shitty 2.6 Hemi in it untill the body pretty well fell off of it.

Reply to
clare

I guess that depends on where you live, how much snow you typically get and the size of the area. Here in NJ, I wouldn't say using a power driven snowblower is hard work for 90% of the snowfalls. On the few occasions when we get a lot, like 16"+, then it becomes more difficult. The area at the end of the driveway where the township plow throws extra snow is the main trouble area. My driveway has a little grade at that point and between that and the extra, heavy snow, it can take some pushing and shoving to get the blower to do what you want it to do. But usually after you have one pass through, opened up, it gets easier. You can take 1/2 cuts if needed, etc. If Norminn doesn't have experience with one, maybe she can try out a neighbor's before buying.

Reply to
trader_4

Jan snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: "and subject them to hurricaines and tornadows.."

I just happen to have zero tolerance for cold - and even less for snow! I stopped liking snow at an early age, when my old man put a snow shovel in my hand. I was no more than 12. Took me 3 hours to shovel off both our front and back porches. LOL

That experience led me to wonder just why the F--- folks choose to subject themselves to such weather.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

My family was from pittsburgh:( Ib wish we were from cocoa florida, or anywhere that always warm and sunny.

I am 57 and would liketo move to my dream area while I am still young enought to enjoy it

Reply to
bob haller

I spent 2 winters in Central Africa, Before that I really ENJOYED winters. Snowmobiling, cross country ski-ing,and all kinds of other cold-fun stuff. When I came back I didn't enjoy the cold so much. Then about 30 years ago I mashed up a couple of fingers - and now they hurt like the dickens when they get cold - but I still wouldn't trade Central Ontario weather for Southern US weather year round.Several friends and a niece spent several years in Florida and after 2 major hurricaines, moved back north. A couple other friends spent some time in the south - and after several near misses (missed by less than a block) with Tornadoes, headed back north too. They go to Texas for part of the winter.

You really can't beat our spring and fall weather, the summers are hot enough for me that I wouldn't want to be much further south, and about half the winter is actually pretty nice.

Colder than blazes the last week or so, but yesterday and today the sun is out and not too much wind so even -24C is quite tolerable

Reply to
clare

If you really don't want to break the bank, consider the Sno-Tek line by Ar iens.

Not fully featured, i.e. no handle warmers, no power steering, etc. Just a reliable series of machines made by a quality manufacturer that decided to get into the entry level machine market.

For the same price as an MTD/Craftsman/Store Brand machine you can get an A riens. Granted, it's not a high-end Ariens, but it will have metal in many of the places that the other's have plastic and things like that. Same pric e range, much much better machines.

They come in 20", 24" and 28". The 24" and 28" have the bigger engine, so I would lean in that direction. I have a 24" and it hasn't disappointed me y et. I would also suggest you buy it from a Ariens dealer, not a home center . Since Ariens sets the prices (or at least used to) the price will be the same everywhere, even when there is a sale. Since it's usually the dealers that do the warranty repairs for the home centers, you want to be a direct customer of the dealer, not the home center. As the dealer I bought mine fr om told me "If I've got 2 machines to fix, one from *my* customer and one f rom the home center, guess whose machine will get done first?"

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Per snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca:

When I had been living in Hawaii for about 7 years, I was sitting in this tourist trap in Waikiki called "The International Marketplace".

It was December and the temps were way down - like low seventies/high sixties.... I had a long-sleeve cardigan on and was freezing my pasty white butt off.

To cut to the chase, a tourist from someplace like Broken Pelvis, Montana sat down on the same bench I was sitting on.

I guess he thought he had to say something, so his opening statement was "Sure is hot and muggy here...."

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Hi, Of course!!!, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

A simplicity is also a good machine. and +10 on buying from a reputable dealer.

Reply to
clare

It's either snow or roaches and fire ants ;o)

Reply to
Norminn