Shop Vac

Hello

I am interested in getting a vac for a renovation. I already have a German-made HEPA type, so I am interested in one useful for rough, wet/dry type usage. I am considering getting a Shop Vac QPV pump unit, for its additional water-removal capabilities. The basic questions are:

Big wheels versus small - how much better are the units with the large back wheels?

Stainless versus plastic - ?

Is the pump worth it?

What size is optimal?

The Stainless QPV with the big wheels is 10 gallons and $220. The plastic Ridgid, 12 gal, with big wheels is $150, and the basic versions are $110 and $70, respectively.

TIA

John

Reply to
JohnD

Are you going to walk to the grocery store with it or just vac in place? Big wheels do go over debris easier so it may be an advantage on a construction site, bt for most of us, not a big deal.

Plastic does not corrode and is actually pretty durable. I see no reason for SS for cleanup.

Yes. Never thougth much about it until today. We had flooding in our warehouse and as I write this, the guys are sweeping and running the water out a hose about 50 feet away and working even further as they go. With no pump, we'd be sucking u p 12 gallons and they walking tot he door to empty and then repeat. If you think you will ever be is a situation like that, get the pump.

.

Too big = too heavy to handle. Too small = too many trips to empty. the 10 to 12 range is OK IMO,. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Best bang for buck is (honestly!) Sears Craftsman. Local store had 16gal. on sale for $89.95. I've bought 2 in the last 10years, both still working great, one is ib a commercial service. The alleged HP is 5- 6.5 I think. Only downside is noise unless you spring for the outlet damper. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Well - I ended up buying a Lowe's exclusive Shopvac.

Larger rear wheels, pump feature, reasonably quiet, all for $100. So far, so good.

JohnD

I bought this same unit. Good price for all the capacity and features. I recommend it.

OX

Reply to
Gregory