Shoes

Page 2 of 2

For a pedant you seem a bit slow. I didn't say I *agreed* with it. I said I *understood* it.
For some things, sure I shop at Walmart. Closest thing to shoes I ever bought there was a pair of steel toed knee high rubber boots for $10. I've worn them a dozen times in the past 10 years. $1/year or $.86/use. Either way, it works for me.
Not shoes, though. My feet were abused enough 40 years ago. I spoil 'em now. Nothing expensive-- but it has to be comfortable. I couldn't tell you what brand any of my shoes are except for my Fry boots that my wife bought for me 27yrs ago or so. I wear them 1-2 times a year & am happy to get back to bare feet, moccasins, or tennis shoes when the shin-dig is done.
Jim
HeyBub wrote:

If you sit all day, that is an adequate formula. If you walk all or part of the day, durability and how long you can wear them before your feet hurt and/or you get blisters and such, becomes very important. And as others in these threads have noted, as you age, your feet get a lot fussier, due to the natural cushioning in them wearing out.
I don't walk for money any more, but too many years of driving a desk has put my walking in the 'doctor's orders' category. The cheap shoes I had been in the habit of buying didn't cut it if I walked a mile or more without stopping every day. Blisters suck. I keep a pair of medium-price athletic walkers under my desk now, and afternoon coffee break is now a lap around the office complex, or two laps in the tunnels. Or if the weather is nice, a lap around the subdivision when I get home- I have a pair of expensive New Balance 992s for that and weekend errands, but they are bordering on being worn out after 2 years, and I am choking on the $120 price for replacements. And since I now wear size 14 (really need 13 1/2), finding ANY shoes in the stores is problematical. Rockport used to make a decent semi-dress shoe that was good for walking, but all I find in that brand is now China junk. Dr. Scholl's makes decent walking shoes that I used to buy before my feet got bigger, but no stores carry my size now. It is becoming a PITA of an ongoing quest. And don't even get me started on snow boots for winter, or real work boots (in case I ever need them again.)
Only cheap shoes I buy now are the $12 velcro tennies from wally world, for days I spend on airplanes. I always keep a sterile pair around for getting through airport security, and they last long enough for the half-mile run through the airport connections. They seem to last about a year on that duty.
As to why velcro- TSA <really> needs to get a clue, and provide benches after the checkpoints, to put your shoes back on. Velcro is all I can handle whilst doing my stork imitation.
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:

My cushioning was thin five years ago. It could be a little uncomfortable walking barefoot on a bare floor. On the street, stepping barefoot on a pebble could be excruciating.
My right knee got so painful as to limit walking to 100 feet or so. Then my left knee got painful, too. At first I blamed my footwear. I decided thinning knee padding was a better guess. I began eating more eggs for breakfast and mackerel (vitamin D, protein, calcium) twice a week. My knees quickly improved.
I didn't think about it at the time, but my foot padding improved, too. Stepping on pebbles no longer bothers me. Out of curiosity, I think I'll try a barefoot lap at the gravel walking track.
HeyBub wrote:

Ten years ago I noticed I was having foot problems. I wasn't in pain but noticed I was developing a sort of limp like Matt Dillon.
Online I learned how to measure feet. I'd always bought 10 because that's what shoe salesmen used to measure. My measurements said 11.
Online I found some name-brand walking shoes at half price. I ordered 11s. Instead of going into a store and buying what felt right to me, I'd trust the manufacturer and my millimeter measurements.
They felt too big at first but worked very well. In six months I'd gone 2,000 miles and decided I needed new shoes. I measured again and found that my feet had grown to 12.
Buying what felt like it fit was foolish for me. Measurement and faith in manufacturers work better.

Did your nose grow too?

*I have found that removing a shoe's factory arch supports and inserting my own custom made arch supports makes a big difference in comfort for standing. They are expensive, but medical insurance picks up most of the tab. Consequently for shoes that I use occasionally I can get away with something that is not top of the line. However I must have my high back steel toe Red Wings for work everyday.

WARNING: THREAD DRIFT!
I have seen a lot of orthotics salesmen. I even got close to some at some State Fairs I was associated with. Bottom line after a few drinks, orthotics was not a refined science, but an overpriced solution to a common problem.
Today, I see ads for Dr. Scholl's, IIRC. In them, you stand on an apparatus that measures the pressures on the bottoms of your feet and suggests a number to a corresponding sole.
I understand and agree that a good impression of the pressure points of an individual can vary like a fingerprint. And that a corresponding therapeutic sole can be a good thing.
Questions is: Are the expensive ones really worth the money, or has Dr. Scholl's figured out a way to provide these heretofore expensive things to the public?
I know hearing aids were a ripoff for a long time. Then more and more people got into it, and the competition got greater, and the prices have come down if you shop comparably. Even for the same name brands.
Steve

*Steve, I get mine from a podiatrist who does casts of my feet and makes adjustments due to some miniscule irregularities with my toes. I started getting them about 25 years ago. The first time that I put them on my wife du jour noticed a difference in my posture and I felt better in the feet, knees and back. They definitely make crummy shoes feel better to stand in. I never tried the ones off the rack by Dr. Scholl Inc.

If having duck wide feet wasn't problem enough, my parents decided (with he help of shyster shoe salesmen) to save me from flat feet. Remember fluoroscopes in shoe stores in the early 50s? Consequently, I wore orthpedic shoes during my formative years and now have arches like the Lupu Bridge. Of course, not only do I now have to look for wide shoes, but I have to buy arch supports or my feet are in pain after a few weeks. So no, orthotics and arch supports are definitely not a scam.
Those old leather/cardboard Dr Scholls supports were pretty bad, but they were better than nothing, in my case. Finally, I ran across Spenco brand and they saved my life. Great design and last for damn near forever. I've been wearing the same inserts for over 15 yrs. Since then, I've seen many orthotic improvements come on the market and in many cases they WILL save you from much pain and back grief. Your feet are not to be taken lightly. They support your whole damn body, fercryinoutloud! ;)
nb
Steve B wrote:

My father had the custom orthotics for years, before the botched spinal cord operation cut his walking down to a few dozen yards a day. But his feet were totally messed up from a very hard life, and too many years of not taking care of himself. So, in some cases the expense may be worth it. But on the principle of 'try the cheapest solution first', if the supports that come with the shoe don't match your feet, I'd definitely the Scholls's droid-recommended off the rack ones for a month or two before I spent a fortune at the custom house. Your feet (and hips and back) will tell you quickly if the off-the-shelf solution is working on not.
--
aem sends...

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 08:14:55 -0700, "Steve B"

When your feet hurt, you hurt all over. Used to be "Made in Brazil" for quality leather shoes. I dont like shopping for new shoes--the nothing fits/feels better than well-worn shoes.

I've bought "good shoes" which did not last very long. And I have bought cheap shoes which lasted years.
I buy cheap shoes. $12 on a hanger at Walmart. Not even in a box!
I also bought a hair trimmer from $14. Being as haircuts are $12 around here, this quickly paid for itself. These come with different length comb attachments. You just cut all your hair the same length with this. Looks fine...

OK! We get it. You, Jim, and JBurns are cheap ol' bastards. Ya' want a medal?
nb

No...."nB"...your just a retard... I am cheap?.... lol....hardly... I Give more to charities in a month than you spend on your expensive shoes in probably 10 years....I am reasonably successful....but never....ever bought into the deal of looking at a mans shoes to determine his worth or being cheap...I'll always drive my sports cars in 10 dollar sneakers...WHY?...because first of all I CAN!...I'll give you a bit of free advice.... never!.... ever!! determine a man on being cheap by the type of shoes he is wearing......especially in this generation...... and someting personal that bugs me about this is.....after travelling around the world people cannot be judge and jury about what footwear they have on, nor claim one is better than another...just be freaking happy your wearing them....Jim

I don't. I determine how cheap he his by how much he brags about it!
nb

Best pair of shoes I've bought in last 30 years or so were at Wal Mart. They are size 40 wide, made in China, brand name is B.U.M, type Jo. They look identical to 'Dockers' (brown with leather laces through 'proper' eyelets) which here cost about about $100.
Should have bought two pairs and would do so again if Wal Mart still carried them! They've been to five or six different places in the world have visited during the last six to eight years. They cost $49.99! So just because something is 'China made' does not mean it's junk. They can produce, cheap, yes, but also they can produce good.
Thinking back to between the two wars when Japanese goods were considered 'tinny', cheaply made etc. Today Japan produces some of the best vehicles in the world, has a highly organised and affluent society, (Which means it is not a cheap country in which to do business, having some of the highest salaries and level of services anywhere).
The best shoes I had bought before that were two pairs of Veltdschoen (sp?) South African design, if not manufacture; Those had double uppers, one of which turned in and the other outwards at the sewing line around the sole. Very waterproof! Those, were in addition to winter wear and safety boots (see mowing the grass wearing steel toed and steel shanked foot wear, which saved my foot at least once and bear the scars to prove it). Incidentally those safety boots were locally made at a footwear factory here. Canada; where also salaries are not low and the cost of living and taxes are certainly not cheap!

Where do you even find good shoes nowadays? I go into a wide variety of stores and all they sell is crappola with nerf soles.
Don't suggest buying shoes online. I want to be able to try on a dozen shoes and walk around a bit without starting a shipping business.

Depends. If you buy a good brand that you've worn and the proper size, you can buy on line. I buy at a local shoe store and I've not tried a pair on for years. Never had a fit problem. If I changed brands I'd want to try them.

Depends on who you deal with, also. Zappos pays for return shipping.
nb