Shingles without felt?

A mansard roof looks like a hassle for construction and maintenance. I read up on it. Mansard lived in the 16th Century, but the style is older. It became popular in the 19th Century. Houses and other buildings were getting taller, but tall walls were esthetically unappealing. Nowadays a fake mansard is used to hide machinery on a flat roof.

Reply to
Choreboy

These are not your daddy's Arrow 50 staples. Roof staples are a lot bigger and shot with a pnumatic gun. If you live in a place where the wind blows don't use staples! They are not even legal in Florida these days.

Reply to
gfretwell

You are correct if referring to staples used to fasten the -shingles-. A standard t-50 tacker or swing tacker with standard staples is sufficient for the tarpaper. I haven't seen any roofer using a pneumatic gun for fastening the paper.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Well, the hardest part about our re-roofing job is the fact that the Mansard has a curve in it. In order to get the shakes to make the curve we first tried doing short courses but that seemed like a waste of material so we instead soak full length shakes in water over night. Wet, they bend nicely to the curve.

Reply to
Michael Nickolas