Shingles curling (upward)

I had a 25 year roof installed after my roof was damaged by hail. The original roof had been on about 20 years and was in good shape up to the point the hail beat it to death. This new roof is about 9 years old and I see that its curling (upward) in various sections on the south face of the roof. The roofers want $5700 to do the whole roof and $3K to do the curled face about (20' by 20').
Now since there should be another 15 years left on the remaining 3/4s of the roof and I feel that the $3K is a rip off what I feel I should do is: to re shingle over the 20 by 20 area,,, nailing down the curled corners of the original roof as I shingle my way up the roof shingling right over the existing roof. At $20 per bundle I could do the four square for about $240 bux.
I reason that it's not good practice to shingle over shingles but I have seen lots and lots of roofs shingled over shingles and since I'll have to do the rest of the roof in about 15 years, these need only last that 15 years. Doing it this way also allows me to do the roof at a leisurely pace. (I'm old and heavy) [yes,,,,fat!]
What do you think? Does the plan hold water? (No pun)

Check with the shingle manufacturer. They should last the 25 years.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

This should be covered under warrantee. Are there attic ventilation or decking issues that contributed to the failure? Will the repair fail prematurely for the same reason?
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Shingle warranties are prorated and a total joke. The manufacturer always comes up with an unproveable excuse as to why they will not honor the warranty... improper installation is their favorite. They always end up telling you to go piss up a flagpole.

Yeah - south side failure, I'm thinking attic ventilation issues, too.
Banty
Sid,
You have my sympathy but without your file you do not have a warranty and you don't have any idea how many layers of shingles are already on the roof. I'm afraid that tossing on another layer of shingles may lead to a roof collapse. You also don't seem to have any plan for addressing the curling, which may be a symptom of a problem with your roof deck. Go bug the neighbors to try to find the roof file. Look for your cancelled check, that will give you the roofer's name. He should be able to tell you based on the price whether he tore off the old shingles. If you can't find any records I think you need to do a tear off. That will be a big job.
Dave M.
On 06/19/08 09:03 am snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

<snip>
So if I replace the shingles on the roof of my unventilated shed, any stated warranty on the replacement shingles is meaningless/worthless?
Perce

Maybe. But it's a shed. What will it need? Two or three bundles of shingles? If you'd waste time chasing a warranty for that kind of money, your time's not worth much.
On 06/20/08 06:58 am JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I simply meant that, since the shed is unventilated, the shingles probably will not last as long as advertised.
Perce

Again, it's a shed. It's not living space is the way it's viewed. It is what it is.
Sid Carrol wrote:

25 years shingles will not curl in 9 years. You have been defrauded and should seek a lawyer if the installers don't make good on it.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ?
Boy, I'd love to see how that comes out. 25 year shingles don't last 25 years, it is a way to compare general quality levels. Some will last 30, some won't make 10. A manufacturer's warranty only covers the cost of the shingles and I've never known of them paying off. If they were to pay off, it would be on a prorated basis at best. It would be a rare roofer that will remove and replace as a warranty item.
I suppose some people solve all their problems by calling the lawyer. I've not known it to work often, if ever. Your mileage might vary.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
Sid Carrol wrote:

When we had problems with our condo roof, I did lots of research on the product and methods. Ours, Elk, at the time had a pro-rated replacement value based on age of the roof. You may be able to get some help if you know the product used and have the paperwork. Elk had the info online.
How's your attic ventillation?