Shifting a light fixture

After mounting a light fixture on my bathroom wall, I noticed that it is not centered over the sink and it is too low.
Without moving the existing standard electrical wall box, how can I shift the light fixture to the right about 2" and up about 1 1/2"?

Hanging lamps can always be relocated. You fix a load-bearing hook in exactly the right location, hang the lamp from that, and connect its power supply to whatever fixture is available (on the wall or ceiling.) Dining table lamps are commonly thus hung from a chain (so the lamp can be rehung higher or lower, as convenient.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

To Phil: My light fixture is mounted on the WALL; it is NOT a lamp hanging from the ceiling.
To RBM: The new bathroom vanity is several inches wider and taller than the old vanity. That's why the light fixture is not centered over the sink and is too low.

To Phil: My light fixture is mounted on the WALL; it is NOT a lamp hanging from the ceiling.
To RBM: The new bathroom vanity is several inches wider and taller than the old vanity. That's why the light fixture is no longer centered over the sink and it is too low.

.
If you can afford a new bathroom vanity you can afford $100 for someone to move the electrical box to move the light...
~~ Evan
gcotterl wrote:

Without a picture, it's hard to tell.
If the fixture is large enough to cover the box when moved, simply move the fixture an anchor it to the wall with the appropriate anchors (i.e., toggle bolts).
If, when moved, the hideous box is visible, place something behind the fixture that covers the box that looks like it's a decorative part of the lamp: a large, thin, piece of opaque plexiglass, a thin, stained wood frame, etc.
Note these suggestions are outside the approved method and your house will probably burn down, but they're easy compared to moving the box.

You can't . Hack out the drywall surrounding the box, install code approved supports for the new box and wire to approved standards. Replace drywall. Paint. Install fixture. Done.
Joe

He said he has a new vanity. Can you make some sort of decorative frame for around the light that would allow you to move it and have the frame hide the old box opening? You will have to nmove the box, maybe put in a new box that is held in place by the drywall opening, if you can get at the mounting support for the old box. This really is very simple, maybe you should get a handy neighhbor to help you.

My problem has been resolved !!!!! (I did what a poster suggested).

You mean you hung yourself from the hanging light fixture?
On Jan 15, 1:23pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Trad: You should read the posts more carefully before making stupid remarks. My response to 'Phil' was "My light fixture is mounted on the WALL; it is NOT a lamp hanging from the ceiling".

Trad: You should read the posts more carefully before making stupid remarks. My response to 'Phil' was "My light fixture is mounted on the WALL; it is NOT a lamp hanging from the ceiling".
You do realize, Trader is pulling your leg!!