sewer easement

Thinking about having city sewer run to my house. currently it is 2 lots away. The city engineer said I needed to get easements to get pipe run. I obviously have never done this before. If they run the pipe along the road to my house it will be in the right of way. Seems I wouldn't need easement if the city already had jurisdiction from the right of way. Anybody been through this? Any ideas welcomed. TIA

Reply to
Pete Peterson

I think they mean you need to get permission from the two lot owners between you and the current end of the run?

What State, City etc. for more specific help.

Good luck, Rich

Reply to
Rich

Pete,

Are you sure that the city engineer understood that you wished to pay for the run of pipe to your house along the street? My guess is that he thinks you are trying to get your neighbors to pay for this. I'm not sure why you would need to acquire any easements. You need to be clear on who pays for what and how much everything will cost. There is the cost of running the sewer lines along the road to your house. Then there is a hook up fee to the sewer pipe. Most likely you'll pay the city for this. Then you hire a private plumber to dig up your lawn and connect your house to the sewer line.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

It might be that the city has a roadway easement but not a utility easement. This can vary greatly from area to area and from the time that the property was subdivided. If you need to cross another person's property and there is not a recorded utility easement then you will need to obtain one.

Deeded property lines can run from the front or back of any curb or sidewalk or even from the center of the road bed in older developments. This is a local issue and no one here can tell you for sure unless they are in the same subdivision as you.

Are the two lots closer to the sewer connected or not? Would there be any benefit to them to connect? A mutual project grants a higher level of cooperation. :)

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt