Septic system question

The house is about 4 years old. The septic has two white plastic appx 3 or

4" diameter pipe risers near the house. I need to put extensions on them since their tops are right at ground level and I want to infill the area to stop water pooling there.

Since I'm unfamiliar w/ septic I'll ask the dumb question: extending these risers a few inches should create no problems for the system, right?

Any suggestions as to how to do this? Parts? Type glue?

Reply to
Kurt Gavin

Do those pipes go into the tank? I can't imagine what else they would be except tank access ports - but only you would know for sure. If they end at ground level they probably wouldn't be hurt by extending but I'd ask a plumber first. The septic system is NOT something you want to break.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Sewer drain cleanouts. One will angle back towards the house and the other will angle towards the tank/street. It will cause no harm to extend them, but probably is not necessary if under the surface for a few inches. Any decent plumber will find them with a rod. Bob

Reply to
Bob

A well designed system has a vent, my honey dipper told me on his annual visit about 3 years that part of the problem was that mine was installed with no vent, and it has to have air to ferment. I put it back together with a stack and made a flowerbed around it, haven't seen him since, I miss him, but don't miss the back ups and expense. Likely the tubes are vents and clean-outs, no rocket science here, make them as tall as you like, use standard PVC tubing and couplers and glue. He may curse you if you make the clean-out too tall, but it can always be trimmed later. I used a 20 galon PVC drum I got from a car-wash service guy and cut to to fit & made a removable lid from the bottom of the drum. this made so the clean-out lid could just lift through the opening and nothing seals well enough to exclude air.

Reply to
Eric in North TX