Seni-OT: End the war on salt!

Page 2 of 2
On 12-25-2012 08:20, HeyBub wrote:

Been a long time since I got tired of medical research. Not likely I will feel ambitious enough to find it for you. But I'll offer a quick summary that you can choose to believe or not:
Too much sodium raises blood pressure in some people. These people are the minority. The general advice for _everyone_ to avoid salt is just as stupid as the general advice for everyone to avoid all kinds of fat.
--
Wes Groleau

“Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.

And most of the people where it DOES raise blood pressure, it is either a genetic thing that runs in family or another medical problem (such as some kinds of kidney disease). Either way the problem is easily defined and limited.
On 12/24/2012 8:07 AM, HeyBub wrote:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=its-time-to-end-the-war-on-salt
And 97% of children can play in the street without being run over. What's your point?
mike wrote:

That the nanny-staters (Michael Bloomberg, et al) are wrong when they say that 100% of us are at risk of something bad if we don't curtail our salt intake.
Sorry you missed what I thought was pretty obvious.

There used to be periodic dinners for a club I belonged to at a hearby hotel with some country's food highlighted each time. I went a few times and once a girl about 30 was sitting next to met. I salted my food and she started in on how bad that was for me, not knowing a thing about me. In fact I use loads of salt, more than a carton a year at home, plus a little more out or at friends, and my blood pressure has been 20 to 40 points lower than 120/80 all my life. Finally in the last two months it seems to have crept up, but I'm 65, fat, out of shape, and get very little exercise. I'm going to change two of those and it will probably go down to record low levels unrelated to salt. It used to be just running 4 times in two weeks would lower my blood pressure below its low value.
Then, she lit a sigrit?
I went a few times and once a girl about 30 was sitting next to met. I salted my food and she started in on how bad that was for me, not knowing a thing about me.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=its-time-to-end-the-war-on-salt
My Tinnitus tells me quite accurately how high my blood pressure is. It also tells me very accurately my salt consumption..
On 01-01-2013 15:53, Attila Iskander wrote:

And mine, that I thought was normal till I was in my twenties, has NO correlation with my blood pressure or diet.
--
Wes Groleau

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated