Seni-OT: End the war on salt!

Page 1 of 2
"This week a meta-analysis of seven studies involving a total of 6,250 subjects in the American Journal of Hypertension found no strong evidence that cutting salt intake reduces the risk for heart attacks, strokes or death in people with normal or high blood pressure. In May European researchers publishing in the Journal of the American Medical Association reported that the less sodium that study subjects excreted in their urine—an excellent measure of prior consumption—the greater their risk was of dying from heart disease. These findings call into question the common wisdom that excess salt is bad for you, but the evidence linking salt to heart disease has always been tenuous."
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=its-time-to-end-the-war-on-salt
In several studies not mentioned, subjects consumed up to 25 grams of salt daily, for extended periods, and suffered no adverse effects. As it turns out, about 6% of Americans suffer from hypertension and half of those have the kind of hypertension that is aggravated by salt.
All other things being equal, that means that 97% of us can eat as much salt as we want with no effect on the body.
Add pictures here
βœ–
HeyBub wrote:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=its-time-to-end-the-war-on-salt
Hmmm, Look into what Finish government did for 25 years regarding salt consumption. My family does not have salt shaker on the table. We are always on low sodium diet. If you eat lot of processed food stuff there comes enough salt with it. Was that research ran for at least 25 years?
Add pictures here
βœ–
Most meals, I use a salt weapon.
HeyBub wrote:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=its-time-to-end-the-war-on-salt
Hmmm, Look into what Finish government did for 25 years regarding salt consumption. My family does not have salt shaker on the table. We are always on low sodium diet. If you eat lot of processed food stuff there comes enough salt with it. Was that research ran for at least 25 years?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12/24/2012 12:02 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Brilliant idea. Manufacture and sell a small AR15 replica that looks like it is made out of salt and display in a case that says, "A salt weapon".
Add pictures here
βœ–
Make one with high capacity, and dispenses salt on food, and I'm interested.
Hollow out D cell, make "salt and battery".
wrote in message
Brilliant idea. Manufacture and sell a small AR15 replica that looks like it is made out of salt and display in a case that says, "A salt weapon".
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12/24/2012 12:47 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm telling you to make and market these things. Maybe, Stormin Mormon Manufacturing Co.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I wonder if I can get the Chinese to make and I can import?
wrote in message
I'm telling you to make and market these things. Maybe, Stormin Mormon Manufacturing Co.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12/24/2012 4:03 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You'd start with somebody here and who knows where it would end up. Nobody makes complete products themselves except for maybe final assembly. I did some work with a plastics manufacturer and that is all they did was make things like food packages for others.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12/24/2012 11:12 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Reminds me of a government financed study many years ago and published in Nature that showed people in restaurants used more salt when the holes in the salt shaker were bigger.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I wonder if the founding fathers envisioned that use of tax payer dollars? I doubt it!
Yes, that's seni-OT.
wrote in message
Reminds me of a government financed study many years ago and published in Nature that showed people in restaurants used more salt when the holes in the salt shaker were bigger.
Add pictures here
βœ–

The war is not over, look here.....
http://disneybear.com/images/theWAREHOUSE_comic_073.jpg
By the way, did the Finish government ever finish?
Add pictures here
βœ–

...and the other three percent are forced to consume huge quantities anyway. I haven't added salt to any food for forty years. There's already too much in it.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 11:51:03 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzz wrote:

The real answer to that is to stay away from processed foods. Salt is just a cheap way to trick your taste buds into thinking the food has flavor. That is why processed food has so much.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 13:19:37 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Sure, but that's difficult to do and forget going out to eat.
Add pictures here
βœ–

That assumes hypertension is the only reason to avoid salt.
Add pictures here
βœ–

If I'm not mistaken, 100% - 6% = 94%, not 97%.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Gordon Shumway wrote:

You are mistaken. 100% of the population - 6% who have hypertension + 3% of those who have the type of hypertension aggravated by salt = 97% of the population who can eat as much salt as they like.
Note: Salt does not CAUSE hypertension, it merely aggravates hypertension in 3% of the population.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Crap. I missed the "half of those" part. I promise I will never do that again.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 12-24-2012 11:07, HeyBub wrote:

Well, actually, when you figure in the ones that would have hypertension if the consumed more salt, the percentage is quite a bit more. But still a minority by a long shot.
The sad thing is that this has been in medical literature for ages. One of the studies I read with this conclusion was in the 1940s!
Same deal with the cholesterol myth.
--
Wes Groleau

Change is inevitable. We need to learn that β€œinevitable" is
βœ–
Wes Groleau wrote:

I know of no study linking salt with the onset of hypertension. If you do, I'd like to hear of it.
Add pictures here
βœ–