Seni-OT: End the war on salt!

"This week a meta-analysis of seven studies involving a total of 6,250 subjects in the American Journal of Hypertension found no strong evidence that cutting salt intake reduces the risk for heart attacks, strokes or death in people with normal or high blood pressure. In May European researchers publishing in the Journal of the American Medical Association reported that the less sodium that study subjects excreted in their urine?an excellent measure of prior consumption?the greater their risk was of dying from heart disease. These findings call into question the common wisdom that excess salt is bad for you, but the evidence linking salt to heart disease has always been tenuous."

In several studies not mentioned, subjects consumed up to 25 grams of salt daily, for extended periods, and suffered no adverse effects. As it turns out, about 6% of Americans suffer from hypertension and half of those have the kind of hypertension that is aggravated by salt.

All other things being equal, that means that 97% of us can eat as much salt as we want with no effect on the body.

Reply to
HeyBub

Hmmm, Look into what Finish government did for 25 years regarding salt consumption. My family does not have salt shaker on the table. We are always on low sodium diet. If you eat lot of processed food stuff there comes enough salt with it. Was that research ran for at least 25 years?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

...and the other three percent are forced to consume huge quantities anyway. I haven't added salt to any food for forty years. There's already too much in it.

Reply to
krw

Most meals, I use a salt weapon.

.

HeyBub wrote:

Hmmm, Look into what Finish government did for 25 years regarding salt consumption. My family does not have salt shaker on the table. We are always on low sodium diet. If you eat lot of processed food stuff there comes enough salt with it. Was that research ran for at least 25 years?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That assumes hypertension is the only reason to avoid salt.

Reply to
Mark Storkamp

Reminds me of a government financed study many years ago and published in Nature that showed people in restaurants used more salt when the holes in the salt shaker were bigger.

Reply to
Frank

Brilliant idea. Manufacture and sell a small AR15 replica that looks like it is made out of salt and display in a case that says, "A salt weapon".

Reply to
Frank

I wonder if the founding fathers envisioned that use of tax payer dollars? I doubt it!

Yes, that's seni-OT.

.

Reminds me of a government financed study many years ago and published in Nature that showed people in restaurants used more salt when the holes in the salt shaker were bigger.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Make one with high capacity, and dispenses salt on food, and I'm interested.

Hollow out D cell, make "salt and battery".

.

Brilliant idea. Manufacture and sell a small AR15 replica that looks like it is made out of salt and display in a case that says, "A salt weapon".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm telling you to make and market these things. Maybe, Stormin Mormon Manufacturing Co.

Reply to
Frank

The real answer to that is to stay away from processed foods. Salt is just a cheap way to trick your taste buds into thinking the food has flavor. That is why processed food has so much.

Reply to
gfretwell

If I'm not mistaken, 100% - 6% = 94%, not 97%.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I wonder if I can get the Chinese to make and I can import?

.

I'm telling you to make and market these things. Maybe, Stormin Mormon Manufacturing Co.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You'd start with somebody here and who knows where it would end up. Nobody makes complete products themselves except for maybe final assembly. I did some work with a plastics manufacturer and that is all they did was make things like food packages for others.

Reply to
Frank

Sure, but that's difficult to do and forget going out to eat.

Reply to
krw

You are mistaken. 100% of the population - 6% who have hypertension + 3% of those who have the type of hypertension aggravated by salt = 97% of the population who can eat as much salt as they like.

Note: Salt does not CAUSE hypertension, it merely aggravates hypertension in

3% of the population.
Reply to
HeyBub

Crap. I missed the "half of those" part. I promise I will never do that again.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Well, actually, when you figure in the ones that would have hypertension if the consumed more salt, the percentage is quite a bit more. But still a minority by a long shot.

The sad thing is that this has been in medical literature for ages. One of the studies I read with this conclusion was in the 1940s!

Same deal with the cholesterol myth.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

And 97% of children can play in the street without being run over. What's your point?

Reply to
mike

The war is not over, look here.....

By the way, did the Finish government ever finish?

Reply to
homeowner