Sears snowblower with 11 horse Tecumseh engine (Stalling out)

The blower is about 5 years old and was running like a top until this winter. It would run perfectly for a half hour or so then stall out. The wife told me that she had solved the problem by simply topping up the gas. I thought she was nuts, but that's exactly what it's doing. I thought perhaps the gas cap might not have been allowing air in to tank as the gas was used but when it started stalling I loosened the cap and it did not help.

So in a nutshell if I top up the tank it will run perfectly for about one inch of fuel then stall. If I top it up, it's good for another inch. and so on! (I was thinking that I could simply move the tank up about the height of the tank and my problems would be over) But I am more interested in finding out what you think might be going on here.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reply to
bill

[...]

Look for a fuel filter, and clean/change it. Ditto for your second post!Tom

Reply to
tom

Thanks Tom I have never noticed a filter but I'll check the schematic of the fuel system and also the blower then do as you suggest. Sorry about the double post. I had completed my post but wanted to check on the spelling of the word Tecumseh so I did a ctrl N to create a new page then looked it up, then did an internet "back" to where I was and then finished by posting the message. The browser must have posted the message on both the original page and the one I was on. (as best as I can figure)

BTW I think you are right. Just never occurred to me. The height of the fuel when full is probably just high enough to force enough fuel through to keep the old girl running .

Thanks

Reply to
bill

You're welcome. The filter could be inside the tank, maybe. Tom

Reply to
tom

It could also be gunk on the float needle requiring more 'head pressure' to get the fuel to flow past the needle.

Now my motorcycle has a screen-type filter on the petcock, and if the bottom gets gunked it will flow fuel as long as its above the gunked section.

So look for filters and an in-tank screen, and a pinched/collapsed fuel hose as well.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Thanks Dave

You might be on to something there. I really thought Tom had it nailed, but there is no filter. There is no petcock on this blower either. The Sears manual lists cleaning the fuel line as one possible solution for erratic running. (I don't quite get that,, but who knows.) It feels like 40 below right now and I don't want to bring the blower inside to work on a gas lie so I'll have to wait for a break in the weather to check things out. (It's snowing now too.) I'll give the needle valve a good cleaning .

Thanks a ton Bill

Reply to
bill

Bill,

the vent on the fuel cap is clogged maybe with snow and ice...

same thing happend to me..

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I want to thank Tom and Dave

I drained the tank, dropped the carb bowl and removed the needle valve. Gave it a good blast of air (popped the gas tank lid right off) (Scared myself (O: ) re assembled everything and pored a bout a half pint into the tank and she ran perfectly. So I'd say the problem is solved. I think the only thing I did wrong was not having disconnected the fuel line at the tank because that way I would have expelled whatever it was right out the end of the line. As it is I would bet money that I have a glob of something in the tank waiting to go back down the line.

Another day perhaps!!

Thanks again case closed.

Reply to
bill

Thanks Mark

I had thought of that earlier and I tried running it after it had stalled out with the cap right off of it (Falling off loose.) and it had no effect so I discounted a clogged cap.

Thanks again Mark

Reply to
bill