Sears air compressor throws breaker

Page 2 of 2

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

A compressor that size needs the motor set for 220 volts and 220 volt service plumbed to it to drive it. Even if it has a 120 volt setting, its foolish to run a motor that big on it. My craftsman in my garage is 220 volt. I had to run a special line out there to do it. I just stole the unused dryer AC feed and rewired it.
Bob
-
compressor oil low? That will put a tremendous load on the motor.
On 30 Jan 2007 14:19:48 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Old breaker? Cycled too often? I would check if a true overload was happening.
Get an electrician, is shouldn't be expensive.
tom @ www.MedJobSite.com
On Jan 30, 2:19 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

A single phase 5 HP motor at 115VAC draws 56 Amps. A single phase 5 HP motor at 230VAC draws 28 Amps. A five horsepower compressor is huge. Most garage 110VAC circuits are 20 amps at best. 230VAC circuits are usually 30.
Eric9822 wrote:

You're all forgetting the funny way they rate horsepower on compressor motors. A "5 HP" motor might really be 2 HP or less.
My current 6 HP compressor runs on a 20A 240V breaker, and it doesn't put out as much air as the ancient 1.5 HP compressor that it replaced when the old one finally bit the dust.
Best regards, Bob
I've got a THREE QUARTER horse motor that is probably 45 years old, runs fine on a 15 a circuit, and is probably 2 1/2 times the diameter of these so called modern 5 horse motors. It runs my compressor all day continuously and will still be cool to the touch. (In cool weather that is, it's outside) They've really fouled up the electric motor horsepower ratings. I'd like to see one of these yuppifed motors on a motor dyno.
--
Steve Barker

"zxcvbob" < snipped-for-privacy@charter.net> wrote in message

-Bob S.
Bob S. wrote:

If your motor was 100% efficient, 15.5A would give 5HP.
Since most 5HP motors draw around 20-21A, I suspect the specs on your compressor are somewhat optimistic.
Chris

What, you mean a manufacturer would make a misleading claim??? Naw....

Not sure how the manufacturer is defining Horsepower. But there is no way a 5 HP 110VAC or 220VAC single phase motor will run on a 15A circuit.