Sears air compressor throws breaker

Page 1 of 2

I have come in possession of a Craftsman model 919.165200, 5 hp, 20 gallon air compressor that when turned on runs for a few seconds then throws a breaker in my shop. Anyone have a clue as to why or how to repair? Anyone come across this problem before?
TIA
Jerry

What size breaker in on that line? 5h/p is a large motor.>
20amp breaker

have come

I was given an old Craftsman AC a few years ago that gave me problems. Upon inspection I discovered the ground and neutral wires had been reversed. Fixing this stopped the GFI from tripping but it tstill tripped the breaker till I ran a 20 amp circuit.
Is your shop heated? What's the temperature of the compressor when it trips the breaker?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

How cold is your shop? Does the compressor have 30W oil or 20W? (default is 30W, which may be too thick in the winter)
Bob
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

What size breaker is that on? A real 5HP motor will probably need a #10 circuit and probably would like a 40A breaker.
Chris
On Jan 30, 4:19 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Things that will cause the breaker to trip: 1. using an extension cord with the compressor. 2. other units running when the compressor kicks in. 3. bad or under rated circuit breaker. (need 15-20A) 4. a bad pressure switch on the compressor. 5. a bad capacitor on the compressor motor. 6. a bad motor on the compressor.
Bob
Bob S. wrote:

7. a bad unloader valve (maybe that's what you meant by the pressure switch)
Bob (no relation)
If all else is up to par, that would be my guess as well

camocs had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Sears-air-compressor-throws-breaker-190003-.htm : Mallory 400-480MFD 165 VAC is BAD! Capacitor does not discharge properly! Check to see if the capacitor has a voltage charge after being plugged in (With Plug REMOVED FROM OUTLET!!!) Check Ohms of capacitor. It probable is open? The other Capacitor is probale good but check that one also!
Please remember that Ohms are checked with out current applied.
Anybody try this web page for the exact Capacitor? Probable Not Mallory!!!
http://www.cde.com/catalogs/PSU.pdf
Looks like they have the 400-480mfd 165vac that sears uses in the compressors. The part number is PSU 40065A or PSU40065A
Good Luck!!! Clark
------------------------------------- RBM wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ News and Discussions Community of the Net Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 229077 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
On 02 Aug 2007 19:58:25 GMT, camocs_at_cox_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (camocs) wrote:

Missed this the first time round. I had that happen to me when I had too long an extension cord (to paint my fence). The voltage drop will pop the compressor's breaker.

Had an old Sears compressor that would trip a 15 amp circuit but ran fine on a 20 amp circuit.
camocs had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Sears-air-compressor-throws-breaker-239451-.htm : Update to previous post from camocs:
Found the site that sells individual capacitors. There is a minimum order of $30 dollars. I bought two to avoid the surcharge of $14.83. Bill came out to 32.50 and with shipping came out to 41 bucks. I keep you posted if this is the fix!!! I have come across so many of these compressors that throw breakers and My girlfreind just bought a mini compressor from sears that did the same thing. I took it back for her and got a new one after opening three boxes to get one that wasn't dented or wasn't covered with oil or even having parts missing on an unopen box. This isn't the Quality Controled sears that I grew up? I have been using Craftsman gear for 35 plus years. It's insane that we live in a throw away world. Recycle those old compressor. Keep the Old Gear in shape and it should last a lifetime!!!
The website for the capacitor is Onlinecomponents.com. Search for PSU40065A. The PSU40065 is too long for this apllication.
Since I bought two, I probable will sell the second at a fair rate plus shipping if anyone is interested?
Good Luck Ya,All!!!
------------------------------------- camocs wrote:

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Sears-air-compressor-throws-breaker-190003-.htm
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ News and Discussions Community of the Net Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 229605 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

My CH compressor manual calls it a pressure switch. It's a pressure operated contactor that opens the ac line input when it gets to operating pressure. I once had a pressure switch go bad (weak spring & arcing contacts) and it would trip the breaker like the OP described. -Bob S.

Yup. If the extension cord is too long the voltage drop will trip the breaker.

Since it is running a few seconds, (like 10-15 seconds), might that indicate that the run capacitor is the culprit? I have no way to test the capacitors. It has 2, 1 of which is a G.E., (I think it is the run capacitor), & the other is a Mallory, (which I think is the start capacitor). I can find a replacement for the G.E., but I would have to replace the Mallory with a different brand. The Mallory is 400-480 MFD, 165 VAC, but the nearest replacement that I can find, w/o having to buy about $100 worth, is 400-480 MFD, 125 VAC.
Sears doesn't list the capacitors as replacements & the complete motor w/capacitors is $230. At that price I might as well buy a new compressor & tank.
Jerry
On Feb 5, 12:09 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It was the G.E run capacitor. I ordered one from <www.surpluscenter.com>, installed it & the compressor ran with no problem. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.
Jerry
To many variables. What is the nameplate voltage and running amperage(fla)? Is the motor connected for 120 or 240 volts? Is the 20 amp circuit you're connecting it to, a dedicated circuit? Do you know that it is or was in working condition? Is the tank empty or is there compressed air in it?