Safety In The Home, Microwave Edition

Talk about not paying close attention. I was heating some sausage in our smallest microwave and unlike some folks I know, I will adjust the power level to keep something from splattering all over the inside of the microwave oven. I set the control for 7 minutes at 40% power, or so I thought. I was concentrating on some Email when I heard an odd noise from the kitchen. The microwave was full of smoke and the sausage burned to a crisp. It turns out that I had inadvertently hit an extra zero when setting the time and it was 70 minutes instead of 7 minutes. Because I had set the power level to 40%, there was no back draft and flames when I opened the frigging oven but there was a lot of smoke. I can still smell Polish Kielbasa throughout the house after 3 days from the time of blastoff. The lesson I learned was to pay better attention to those mundane tasks I take on every day. o_O
TDD

Did your dog enjoy it?
On 4/28/2014 3:46 AM, Edward wrote:

Heck no! I'm not giving my 11 pound attack/guard dog any burnt food. Sandy has plenty to eat without being fed garbage by me. She always wants what I'm eating but I look at her and say, "Hey bitch, I don't eat your food so eyes off mine!" It doesn't do any good. ^_^
TDD

happens!

it when mmy hand sshakes.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Monday, April 28, 2014 1:03:43 AM UTC-7, The Daring Dufas wrote:

My wife did that to warm up a biscuit, charcoaled it and left a coat of smoke inside. No cleaner I tried would even touch it. Turntable plate cracked in half. I finally replaced it and free-cycled the smoked up one at the curb. Someone took it.
Harry K
The Daring Dufas wrote:

To prevent splattering we use cover. If it happens wash the cover in the DW.
On Monday, April 28, 2014 1:03:43 AM UTC-7, The Daring Dufas wrote:

I have taken to setting the stove timer on such tasks as my attention span is somewhere south of zero. Filling a pot with water? Set timer, Put pot on stove to boil? Set timer, etc.
Harry K
On 4/28/2014 9:30 AM, Harry K wrote:

stove. I must do it not so much that my mind is going but because when I get engrossed in some activity such as reading or searching The Web for information, I often lose track of time and something has to snap me out of it. I find that I must exercise much more situational awareness now that I've gotten older and it can be very frustrating especially when I'm moving around because I've become quite clumsy which really pisses me off. o_O
TDD

I have never heard of "backdraft" causing flames in a microwave.
Why do you think you would have gotten backdraft if the power had been higher than 40%?

On 4/28/2014 10:20 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

H.I.S.I., Pronounced "hissy" stands for Humor Irony Sarcasm Impairment. A lot of people are afflicted with H.I.S.I. and I never hold it against them unless they have a HISI fit. ^_^
TDD

Humor, Irony and Sarcasm I can handle and usually get. However, since you specifically said "Because I had set the power level to 40%..." your statement didn't come across as H or I or S, at least not to me.
No HISI fit, just HISI fact.
P.S. I would have at least seen if either of my dogs would have eaten the crispy sausage, just out of curiosity. I think I know which one would have turned up his nose and walked away, but I've been surprised before.
On 4/28/2014 10:59 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

all sorts of fire special effects? The sausage was carbonized and melted the plastic of the paper plate holder. If the sausage had been OK like when I would eat it, I would still have to cut it into small pieces because Sandy is so little that my thumb is longer than her whole snout even though she's a Deer Head Chihuahua with a much longer head, legs and body than an Apple Head Chihuahua. I have to break up doggie treats before I give them to her and slice up hotdogs into small pieces which I often use to hide her medications inside to get her to take them. Sandy is on the same twice a day medication schedule that I'm on so she gets at least two hotdogs a day. ^_^
TDD

I too use the timer when I'm cooking for the same reason - I get busy and I forget about whatever is I was doing earlier.
In addition, I use the alarm function on my cell phone almost daily. I'll think of something during the day that I want to take care of when I get home - things as simple as "Call Dad to say Hi" or as important as "Pay son's tuition". You'd be surprised how many times that alarm goes off and I say "Oh Yeah...gotta do that" even though I just set it a few hours ago. Without the alarm I would have totally forgotten about it.
Sometimes I set the alarm as a means to "force" myself to do something that I know (and remember) that I have to do, but just keep putting off, like "Pay son's tuition". I'll tell myself when setting the alarm that as soon the alarm goes off, stop whatever you're doing and take care of this immediately." It works...sometimes.
...snip...

What? You mean this wasn't 100% real?
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5497/11875476193_fe384510cb_m.jpg
I am totally disillusioned now.
On 4/28/2014 11:57 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

that a body double was used in place of the famous actress. It's all about illusion. ^_^
TDD
On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 03:03:43 -0500, The Daring Dufas

That's funny... It's a dreary day here and that brought a smile :-)
On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 03:03:43 -0500, The Daring Dufas

In the days before Microwave Ovens I (attempted) to heat a can of soup in my regular oven. Turn the oven to 250, put the can in with intent to take it out in a few minutes. Promptly forgot about the can and went on about other stuff and 40 minutes later there was a VERY loud explosion, the door of the oven shot WAY OPEN and then slammed shut and there was a smell of burnt soup everywhere within a few seconds...... I repeated this a week later with almost the same results except I remembered about the soup after only 25 minutes of cooking. When I opened the oven, with one arm in front of my face, the can was bulged out like a basketball and I carefully lifted it out and placed it in the sink to cool off. That was the last of my attempts to heat soup in the oven.
On 4/28/2014 3:37 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

florescent light fixtures hanging over our work benches and the common practice there was to put cans of food we wanted warmed up, on top of the fixture in the location of the ballast. Of course we did it in the morning so the can would be warm at lunchtime. ^_^
TDD
On 04/28/2014 07:30 AM, Harry K wrote:

I started doing that right after I got online and burned up several pots while browsing for a "couple of minutes".
Jon