rv tiolet

I have a 1979 18' Jayco travel trailer that I recently purchased. I just removed the old broken propane water heater and replaced it with an electric 4 gallon Ariston GL4. After installing I decided to run water through all the faucets and tiolet. This is when I discovered a leak at my tiolet. It has a very fast leak only when you push the foot pedal down and run water. I reached around the back and felt a hose that was right under the hinge for the seat and it was wet. I know it didn't leak a month ago when I bought it. Does anyone have any ideas what may be wrong. it is an Aqua Magic SL. I should also mention that I am going to be putting down new 12" peel and stick tiles and will need to remove the tiolet for that project as well.

Thanks J.D.

Reply to
JD

google groups search at:

buffalobill

Don't forget rec.outdoors.rv-travel and I believe there is a pop up trailer newsgroup, as well.

Reply to
Bryan

The Thetford Aqua Magic GL toilet in my travel trailer developed a leak in the same area. To be present for the birth of our third grandchild last year, we may have "pushed the envelope" too far and freeze-damaged the toilet.

The professional repair was not cheap but, for me, worth the cost. Removing and replacing an RV toilet, not to mention the actual repair, is not an easy or convenient job. RV toilets are traditionally installed in VERY close quarters. However, I'm sure a handy person can do the job, given the time and patience.

Also, the following newsgroups are ostensibly for the discussion of RV/camping-related topics, the first being primarily off-topics, flames and politics:

news:rec.outdoors.rv-travel news:alt.rv news:alt.rv.pop-up-trailers

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

I had such a leak, slow though. Tried to find the problem without removing it, finally just undid the two or three bolts that hold it down. After that it was simple SUGGESTION. Remove the toilet to work on it. The RV repair place that I bought a repair kit from said that this type of leak is common. Believe the repair kit cost $24. But removing the commode. fixing the problem, and replacing the commode takes about 30 minutes.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Well I broke down and removed the toilet so I could get a good look at the problem. The actual removal of the tiolet was very simple. I then went down to the local hardware store and bought a fitting to adapt to a garden hose so I could run the water and locate the leak. This woked perfect and I was able to see water coming out of the top of one of the hoses which appeared to have slipped down. I attempted to loosen the clamp holding the hose on which is when I noticed the plastic nipple the hose slides over was completly broken off. This plastic nipple is actually molded to the tiolet and it couldn't be salvaged. The good news is the local R.V. dealer had a brand new used Aqua Magic IV that was pulled out of a brand new R.V. for sale for only $85.00. The only difference is that the new one is a hand flush which it looks like I will have to extend my water line to make it all work but that is no problem.

Thanks to all that took time to read and reply to my problem

J.D.

Reply to
JD