running water but only an outhouse?

Page 1 of 3
If a house in town the 1910's or 20's had only an outhouse, does that mean that it did't have running water inside the house?
Specifically, I mean Indianapolis. About a mile or mile and a half south of the center of town. (Which was or at least became the poor side of town, compared to the north side.)
My mother told me that she used an outhouse when she was little, but I guess I assumed my grandparents still had a sink in the kitchen with city water, rather than going out to a well, or pumping in the kitchen.
What say ye?
Add pictures here
✖

No, inside water doesn't necessarily mean no outhouse. At one time, my grandmother had a pump at the kitchen sink, though I wasn't around then. ;-)
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 16, 12:58 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Being such a big country and given that all this evolved over decades I would expect that there were a variety of combinations. Nothing says that one couldn't have added a well pump and tank for the house without installing toilets, sewer system, etc.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 11:41:24 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

But what about city water, but no sewers, so that's running water with no pumping but no way to have an indoor toilet. Does that seem likely?
Add pictures here
✖

I don't see why not. I know of relatively recent situations where they have municipal water but folks still have their own septic systems.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 13:36:24 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Oh, yeah. We had that! In the 60's. I forgot. So you've all helped complete my image of my mother's home, until she was 10 or ~13.
Her friends were moving to the north side, and she wanted to move too, but her mother didn't want the headache of moving. Then finally the family moved, and more than once after that. My mother just wished they had started earlier.
Add pictures here
✖
-snip-

Current system in this house-- Got city water in the 80's. No sign of city sewer. [though they've been talking about widening the state road in front of the house, for 25 years. When they get around to it, they'll probably do sewer, too]
Our 'summer camp' when we were growing up was an 18th century farmhouse. When it was built there was a well dug under the kitchen, so there was probably a pitcher pump at a sink of some sort.
A 3 hole 'back'-house was built right into the building- beyond the woodshed. That was one spoiled lady.<g>
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

When my mother bought our home in Indianapolis in 1957, she noticed that some of the neighbors had bushes planted up close to the road, and others stayed 15 or 20 feet away. She asked and learned that the county owned the land to the farther bushes, and they might be widening the road. 55 years later and the road hasn't budged. .

Yeah we had a septic tank and a finger system. The tank is under a pink colored cement patio. There was an empty circle above where they had to dig to clean the tank. My mother planted flowers. That was good, because when they dug it up to clean, they didnt' dig in the middle of the yard, but iIf they ever have to dig it up to replace the tank,, they'll not be able to match the cement. I was there 4 years ago, but the patio was covered with snow. If I'd remembered, I would have dug down through the snow, to see if it ever had to be replaced.
In the 2nd half of the summer you could t ell where the fingers were because that's where the grass was green. "It don't rain in Indianapolis in the summer time."

I don't get it. Built into the building but past the woodshed? How are both possible?
You could get there without going outside?

Add pictures here
✖

-snip-
Yes. And it built with a neat little 'jog, so there was always cross-ventilation through the 2 little windows. Underneath the 3 holes there was a door on one end and the crap fell into a box that was on a sled that a horse pulled somewhere when necessary.
I guess it wasn't really a wood *shed* -- It was the room off the dining room.
There were 7 fireplace in that house-- 4 downstairs and 3 upstairs. The wood 'shed' was the size of a 2 car garage.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

"summer kitchen" by chance? or just a big "mud room". Or was it used to store fire-wood? In which case it was a "wood shed"
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

-snip-
Oops- *8* fireplaces. the summer kitchen was in the basement. it had gotten muddy in 200 years, but had a flagstone floor under the mud.
This room was built just for firewood. It had a sliding 4' door, and 2" split boards for the floor and walls--- There was some real character in those boards.
We always called it the 'wood shed' -- but somehow, today, it seems like 'shed' implies a separate building.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

No, the wood shed was virtually always built on to the house. What you had is definitely a "wood shed".
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 22:30:11 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I didn't know that it was built on to the house. I think one reason for the opposite impression is the expression , "Took me out to the woodshed.", for a whuppin'. Even though the woodshed you describe has a door on the outside, the expression gives the image of walking a distance from the house. "Took me around to the woodshed" would apply to a room built on to the house. So how come people say "out"?
Add pictures here
✖

It is outside the "heated envelope" of the house, so in the winter in particular, it is DEFINITELY "out". You go out the back door of the house into the woodshed.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 16:04:50 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That makes sense. I think my guess about the misimpression among those who don't have one may be right.
Add pictures here
✖

My friend moved into his parent's farm house when they passed away. The wood shed was attached to the kitchen and was actually almost twice as big as the kitchen. We dropped the chimney from the old kitchen fireplace into the house then tore down the wall between the kitchen and the wood shed, basically tripling the size of the kitchen.
The old chimney bricks were used to repair the 2 huge stoops on the front and side of the house.
It was a fun project.
Add pictures here
✖

Another interesting thing about Indianapolis is that it has two reservoirs, one where sailboats are permitted and one where people use motorboats. They even have a boat for tours or rides, about 75 feet long.
Somewhere I said that there was motorboating in the reservoir and people didn't believe me. Maybe that was AHR. But I checked 4 years ago and I was right.
Morse Reservoir. Geiss is for sailboats.
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/16/2012 4:36 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

My wife's grandfather's house on lake huron had township supplied water but septic tank. My wife's family sold that house in 2010 no problems...
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 13:36:24 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

This house was built in 2007 and has county water and its own septic system. Is 2007 "relatively recently"? ;-)
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 22:44:37 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Relatively.