Roundup For Weeds, Or... ? (what's really safe ?)

Page 5 of 6

What about your own children and grandchildren? Can you look out for them, or are you too busy watching football and American Idol learn something new every day?

I'm sorry. I'm having a tough time following this conversation.
My children and grandchildren are fine. Both my children are professional people now, one a linguist, and one a psychologist. My grandchildren are provided for by multiple trusts.
I don't watch football or American Idol. I watch a total of about twelve hours of TV a week.
And you?
Steve

Trusts do not apply to health issues, other than paying for treatment.

How long ago did you start paying even a little attention to the antics of chemical companies?

Long enough ago to understand how it works, Joe. Long enough to see how DDT went out after being touted as a world saving chemical. Long enough to see thalidomide come and go. Long enough to see hundreds of thalidomides come and go. Long enough to understand that money powers the world and people lubricate the wheels. Long enough to lose my Pollyanna attitude from childhood and learn to live in the real world.
And you?
Steve
wrote

About the same, which is how I learned that the testing procedures are too lightweight to produce the information we need.
In your newspaper, have you ever seen ads looking for volunteers for drug trials? Take a certain type of drug, study the results. That sort of thing.
wrote

And your point is? Most people are so stupid that they will test ILLEGAL drugs for free. I guess they have to use humans now because PETA and PAWS won't let them use animals any more.
Steve
wrote

Just so I understand what you're saying, you think pharmaceutical companies pay for human drug trials because they get flak for using animals?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Could be we may come to it, it seems... :(
You're saying those same companies shouldn't do clinical trials so folks like you can say no new drugs can be introduced because they haven't been prove to be safe for human use?
Can't have it both ways it seems to me...

You never saw me say they shouldn't do clinical trials. I asked if you'd seen ads looking for humans who wanted to participate. I needed to establish that you knew of the concept of clinical trials. (There are clueless people, so I had to ask first).
Some of these trials show that a drug works much differently with humans than with animals. Could this be a reason for testing on humans? After all, we know that dogs and rats metabolize certain things differently than humans.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

It's almost impossible to tell what you do intend to say, Joe... :(
In general, instead of making a point, you raise rhetorical questions and hyperbole and....oh, to heck with it...
For many purposes, hogs are about as close clinically to peoples at it gets...

If you'd simply answered the initial question about ads, there would've been less clutter, and this would've been easier.
I notice that you didn't address anything in the paragraph beginning with "Some of these trials.." Is that because you need to believe the trials exist because of animal rights issues?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

In what way "easier"? Yes, I have seen ads for clinical trials. So what?

No, that's not what I said although it is much more difficult to perform useful animal trials and much research is delayed or not undertaken because of overzealous AR advocates. I did make a semi-tongue-in-cheek remark that it just might come to that, however...
However, in actuality I didn't respond because the point is so obvious as to be Homer's "DOH!" and seemed unworthy of any response...
And, no, I'm not responding to this thread further...

This doesn't surprise me.

And Joe wins another one, not by a preponderance of the evidence, logic, or facts, but by mere dogged persistence to the point of exhausting the opponent.
Kudos, Joe.
Steve
I asked if you'd

JOE, PLEASE STOP! In one post, you say they don't use humans, and in this one, you say they do. Which is it. You're making me dizzy.
Steve
wrote

We're talking about drug trials, not testing pesticides. Try and keep up.

Shhhhhhhh. It's a secret the evil corporations don't want you to know about. But it HAS been in recent papers and other publications. But, then, you're a voracious reader, and knew that. Right?
BTW, you're the one who brought up the point about human testing. If you can't explain your point, please don't foist it off on me to attempt to explain.
Steve
wrote

It's been explained. You missed it.
Robert11 wrote:

of landscape cloth is good where stuff won't grow. Doesn't support weeds as long as it doesn't have soil dumped on it. The few weeds that do sprout are easy to pull. I would consider changing over to rock and landscape cloth, or to beds of native plants or non-agressive ground cover (like hosta). Beds of day lily, hosta, iris, are low maint. and look good. Trying to kill weeds is a waste - if nothing else, plant attractive ones :o)

Why was gravel outlawed?