Room A/C spitting out chunks of black--dirt??

Hi all, I've got a Sears Kenmore room air conditioner unit in a thru-the-wall sleeve in my living room.
When it's running, it keeps spitting out little pieces of black--something--perhaps dirt, that are really dirtying up my nice carpet. Not all the time, but maybe a half dozen chunks each day.
I cleaned the A/C filter, but that's not stopping the problem.
Where is that black stuff coming from, and how can I stop it?
-- Steven L.
Steven L. wrote:

Disintegrating insulation? Gasket?
I used to work in a building where the central air spewed black soot. We made them tape filters on top of the vents. They practically tore apart he building for ten years trying to figure out what it was. After I was long gone, they figured it out. Turned out the grabage trucks used to pull up right by the intake and spewed exhausts into the building HVAC. THis was a building chock full of world class engineers!
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2 ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Probably a dried out foam gasket. I have an older car that is doing the same thing. Brown sticky pieces of foam come out of the vents sometimes.

dried out and began to crumble after a few years. It was pretty worthless to start with. While it did catch some dust, it was hardly enough to keep the cooling fins from getting pretty gunked up so I tossed it.

What does the black stuff look and feel like? Could be pieces of the foam filter, but can also be wads of mold that built up in there over the winter.

He never said he had a foam filter.

So what? It may or may not have one. Maybe it did and it was replaced. It is still a possibility and I'm sure he is capable of looking as to the type of filter he does have.