Roof vent problem:

Hi folks. I have an problem with my roof vents in the winter, the roof is low pitch about 4-12 the snow builds up and air from attic causes the snow to melt creating ice dams at every vent , this can build up during winter months and create an terrible stress load . I have been looking for taller vents but can't seem to find any. My attic has blown in fiberglass and 10 inch glass batts over it I'm not sure what else I can do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sal

Reply to
sal

The problem is you have warm air leaking into the attic, fix that.

Reply to
ransley

I would look for better air circulation. Do you have enough venting both intake (soffit) and outgo (vents)? Do you have the total area of each recommended for your area?

Reply to
jmeehan

I'll second what jmeehan said about the air CIRCULATION.

Especially be sure you have adequate INTAKE vents -- preferably SOFFIT vents. If you don't have adequate intake vents, the air exiting your OUTGO vents is being pulled directly from the warm air inside your house, regardless of the insulation. That outgoing air has got to come from somewhere and if it's not coming into the attic from the outside via adequate intake vents, it's coming from the interior of your house.

Reply to
Erma1ina