roof replacement bid - is this a reasonable bid?

I can't comment on your local pricing as I'm a couple thousand miles away, but I can tell you that while the prices seem reasonable, there isn't enough information for a meaningful answer. Roof pitch (steep can be anywhere from 7/12 up to 15/12 or more), valleys, hips, height above grade (number of floors), number or existing layers of shingles, etc. will affect the price quite substantially.

Not familiar with Atlas, but upgrading to a dimensional shingle is always a good idea in my book.

Flashings can be a big bite, make sure that you have adequately addressed that before signing anything.

Whatever you are planning on doing, I suggest you do it as soon as possible. There is a large black hole on the Gulf coast that will be sucking down labor and materials at an amazing rate.

RicodJour

Roofer has given me a bid for residential roof replacement in Austin, TX at $155 per square, as follows:

$ 20 - tear out old shingles, adjuster's estimate $ 101 - replace 3-tab asphalt shingles, adjuster's estimate $ 12 - steep slope allowance, adjuster's estimate $ 22 - upgrade from 3-tab asphalt to Atlas Pinnacle 35-year shingles

------- $ 155 - Total per square

46.33 squares total will be replaced.

Price includes Cobra II ridge vents, new felt, inspect and replace decking as required (4 pieces free), replace auto caulks/ lead risers as needed, nail new shingles, protect plants, nail pickup, haul-off.

There is some rusty flashing around upstairs room, he didn't mention that.

Does this seem like a good bid to you? Too high?

Are the Atlas Pinnacle shingles good?

Reply to
spoon2001

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 12:58:47 -0500, "spoon2001" wrote Re roof replacement bid - is this a reasonable bid?:

Sounds reasonable for your area. The best way to tell is to get 2 more estimates and check out references.

Reply to
Vic Dura

You would be 2 1/2 to 3 times that hear. !800 sq ft house is about $12000. Our friends just redid their house about 2,000 sq ft. one story with cement shingle $22,000' Welcome to CA.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave