Roof fans and soffits

I forgot to mention anywhere that after I had had my attic fan, roof fan, for about 15 years, I was up on a ladder and found a layer of lint or something over the entire soffit vent. It was like the lint one takes off the lint trap in a clothes dryer, though not as heavy as it gets in my drier. I have a two story townhouse and couldn't see it from the ground, even when I knew it was there.
My soffit vents are about 4 inches deep, front and back of the house and as wide as the house is wide, covered with something like window screen.
Smaller soffit vents would get an even thicker level of "lint".
Meirman
If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.

Plus a roof fan can create enough negative pressure to pull rain in pot vents and other places.
In alt.home.repair on 20 Jul 2003 07:04:10 -0700 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Tomcat14) posted:

Oh, I wasn't complaining. I am happy with the fan.
To me the "lint" shows how much air circulation there is now. There is no lint with normal convection is there?
Just suggesting that it be cleaned every ten years or so.
Meirman
If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter.
Tomcat14 wrote:

What's a pot vent? Not being smartass just couldn't figure out any possible mistake. Couldn't pull rain in any of my vents anyway, even if we had any rain (6.5 inches last year).
meirman wrote:

Good point. But cleaning them every year would be a lot better. Dandylion, milkweed, and other flying seeds stick on screens and could easily reduce the free space by 50 percent. Maybe a real strong fan would just suck them right through.