Roof - color of shingles, attic fans?

Page 2 of 2

Currently, I have gable-end vents.
If I get soffit vents (part of a siding job), and a ridge vent (part of a future roofing job, hopefully far future), will I be able to use the whole houes fan?
Will the soffit vent - ridge vent setup work wiht the gable-end vents in place?
Banty
Banty wrote:

I don't see why it would.

I think that because I did it in 20 or less the last couple times. Without really rushing.

You're welcome. And of course you don't have to go on the roof to replace the motor. It woudln't even help.

A little more on the subject. Now I still only have 6 inches of fiberglass, plus whatever cellulose was there when the previous owner bought the house new. And it has occurred to me that if I had 16" of fiberglass, maybe the second floor would not have gotten so hot before the roof fan was in place. (Although if it is 140 in the attic, and 70 in the house, I think even with 16 inches of insulation, some heat will get in, through the trap door or along edges, and straight through the 16 inches.
But even then, the attic would be 140 and as they said, ruining the shingles and maybe the decking of the roof. Plus I'm able to go up in the attic for much of the summer much of the day. Maybe not the hottest days at 1 to 3PM but
So regardless of theoretical considerations of sucking air in through the ridge vent to the fan, or not evenly from the soffitts, the fact remains that the attic was much cooler, 30 or 40 degrees, and the 2nd floor of my house was much cooler, 10 degrees or more. I wish I had measured, maybe it was 20.
Even if the major air currents arent even in the attic, the temps even themselves out. You won't have an 90 degree breeze and a 130 degree hot spot right next to it. Bernouillis principle, and convection, and diffusion, and the temp of the attic is probably within 10 degrees almost everywhere.
I'm going to use the incense stick next summer, but even if I change nothing, I have a comfortable second floor. And remember that I only use the AC maybe 2 to 3 weeks during the summer, even in Baltimore. I like my windows open.