Roof - color of shingles, attic fans?

The purpose of a whole house fan is to remove air from the occuppied spaces (thus sucking cool air in from outside). If the fan is set up to blow air into to attic from the house, I'd expect air to exhaust through both the soffit and the ridge vents. I'd be a little surprised if you could get the full effect without gable-end vents, though.

Reply to
Goedjn

That is all based on a computer program. Keeping the heat out in the first place in a hot humid climate is the way to go.I have a white standing seam on top of my roof, then insulation then the roof structure. Gets a degree F hotter than the ambient which is about 90 in the summer.

Color of shingle may be sort of limited, all be more or less dark, with a grey being light.

To condition outdoor air in Houston to room conditions, would most likley use 3/4 of the cooling power to remove humidity and 25% to control temperature. Venting attics is a northern concept.

These attics get about a degree hotter than the outside air

Reply to
Abby Normal

I don't see why it would.

Reply to
CJT

Currently, I have gable-end vents.

If I get soffit vents (part of a siding job), and a ridge vent (part of a future roofing job, hopefully far future), will I be able to use the whole houes fan?

Will the soffit vent - ridge vent setup work wiht the gable-end vents in place?

Banty

Reply to
Banty