Ridiculous FHA rules

Page 3 of 5

Oscar got taken and is angry that not everyone is as clueless as he is. NO lender, buyer etc can force anyone to make major repairs. They can deny the loan but that's it.
======Still haven't found the HTML button eh?======= Answer below
Well Jim, Here is an addendum, the seller _must sign_ when selling FHA (all states have the addendum). I do notice they have areas now, where the seller can put a cap on the $$ amounts to bring it up to FHA minimum standards.
Just so you know, when you sign a contract, you have contractual obligations. You appear to be the type, which would want to shrug them off. That's when the buyer takes you to court.
Now, how's the crow taste? BTW, there's no charge for teaching you a lesson. http://realestate.utah.gov/REForms/New_FHA-VA_addendum.pdf
Yes it says seller will pay _____ . Seller can write in $0. That means house sold "as-is". They can't force you to spend anything. The last line has the option to reject the addendum. Seller simply signs that and house is still sold "as-is". Lender and/or buyer can walk away but seller is under no obligation to fix anything. See you learned something today. If I were selling my home right now and that sheet came in front of me I'd write $0 for repairs and sign the rejection option.if a number was written in there I didnt like. . Pest inspection is standard for seller so that is no biggie. So aren't you wiser now. MAybe next time you sell a house you'll get a lawyer and not get ripped.

Yes it says seller will pay _____ . Seller can write in $0. That means house sold "as-is". They can't force you to spend anything. The last line has the option to reject the addendum. Seller simply signs that and house is still sold "as-is". Lender and/or buyer can walk away but seller is under no obligation to fix anything. See you learned something today. If I were selling my home right now and that sheet came in front of me I'd write $0 for repairs and sign the rejection option.if a number was written in there I didnt like. . Pest inspection is standard for seller so that is no biggie. So aren't you wiser now. MAybe next time you sell a house you'll get a lawyer and not get ripped.
========Turn off your HTML====== Goodness Jim, I don't like to name call, but you're a simpleton.
The OP is doing this work, because obviously they filled in a $$ amount.
If you reject selling FHA, that's no biggie. We ARE talking about the OP's case, exactly what is over your head here?
Look, if you say your willing to sell FHA, then reject it, you won't sell FHA. Didn't I tell you b/4, you either do, or don't?
You can't sell FHA as is, you must meet their minimum standards. What don't you understand about this?
You can't even figure out how to post, LOL, and here you are trying to tell someone how to sell FHA. You definately made my night! LOL, thank you!

Jim isn't posting in HTML, Oscar -- if he were, I'd see the tags, because my newsreader doesn't render HTML. If you're seeing what you think is HTML in Jim's posts, it's because of a configuration problem on *your* computer, not his.

You're right, I owe an apology.
If there was a number the OP did not mention. It sounds as if he is being jerked around by an inspector. I agree there should be no complaint if he signed that form and there is a dollar amount in that blank. I'm sorry you got ripped off . You just cant understand that other than C.O . and temites a seller really has no legal obligation to fix anything. The buyer and lender are free to walk. FHA, DOT, BBC, NYC, TNT, DDT whoever cannot force anyone to fix anything unless it is agreed to in a contract.

If there was a number the OP did not mention. It sounds as if he is being jerked around by an inspector. I agree there should be no complaint if he signed that form and there is a dollar amount in that blank. I'm sorry you got ripped off . You just cant understand that other than C.O . and temites a seller really has no legal obligation to fix anything. The buyer and lender are free to walk. FHA, DOT, BBC, NYC, TNT, DDT whoever cannot force anyone to fix anything unless it is agreed to in a contract.
================ reply below========= I owe you an apology, accusing you for posting in HTML. Thanks to Doug for pointing it out.
Sorry Jim! I got carried away. But, I'm still LOL, guess the LOL is on me. Have at it!
Back to about the obligation. If someone wants to sell FHA, and can't meet FHA minimum standards, then they're not going to sell FHA. They wasted everyone's time. Just say upfront, no FHA/VA. There's no reason to play games.
You are the clueless one who must have got suckered. Otherwise EVERYONE would go with a FHA loan. I could express interest in a shack that costs $50k . According to you the seller would have to replace the foundation, HVAC, electricals, roofing, interior, painting etc at their expense. I would get a new house for $50k.and the seller would make $0 and possibly owe money fixing up the house. Not likely. You got suckered so listen and learn so it doesnt happen again. I bet you were too cheap to pay a lawyer . In most states used homes are sold AS IS. It is the buyer's responsibility to inspect a property and then work with the seller to close the deal. The seller can fix all, some or none of the deficiencies. Of course a seller will fix crucial items as the next buyer will see the same problem.

You are the clueless one who must have got suckered. Otherwise EVERYONE would go with a FHA loan. I could express interest in a shack that costs $50k . According to you the seller would have to replace the foundation, HVAC, electricals, roofing, interior, painting etc at their expense. I would get a new house for $50k.and the seller would make $0 and possibly owe money fixing up the house. Not likely. You got suckered so listen and learn so it doesnt happen again. I bet you were too cheap to pay a lawyer . In most states used homes are sold AS IS. It is the buyer's responsibility to inspect a property and then work with the seller to close the deal. The seller can fix all, some or none of the deficiencies. Of course a seller will fix crucial items as the next buyer will see the same problem.
======= Turn off your HTML========= Wow, you just don't get it. Read my link, better yet, have someone read it to you, and explain it. Maybe, just maybe you will be able to comprehend.
I really don't think you are competent enough to handle your own affairs.

But what dog is saying is the owner can simply refund the deposit and tell the buyer this house will not ever pass FHA inspection it seems and be gone.
BTW to Doug (way up there) there were plenty of paints on the market in the early 70s even late 60s, with no lead in them. This "lead" scare is not new. They started bragging about non-lead paints about the time Dupont Lucite came out.in 1961 and we got away from oil based house paint.

No, the seller has obligations, which they are contractually bound by. I see they do have places now, for the seller to cap off the $$ amount for certain standards. This does not relieve them from their contractual obligations. Since they now have $$ amount caps. I would say you're right, once the contractual obligation is fulfilled.
Every state has this addendum, which _must_ be signed by both parties, in order to go FHA.
http://realestate.utah.gov/REForms/New_FHA-VA_addendum.pdf

Are you drunk? If you agree to sell to someone who is financing through FHA, you are NOT agreeing to do a damned thing except complete the sale IF the house passes inspection and you comply with FHA guidelines. You are under NO obligation to fix anything. If your house fails to meet their stipulations, you can just shrug your shoulders and walk away from the deal.
wrote:> Are you drunk? If you agree to sell to someone who is financing

The OP isn't fixing stuff out of the kindness of their heart. It's obvious their was an offer & acceptance at some point. They have obligations to fulfill, which they are attempting.
Walk away? I'm sure they can, and be prepared to go to court for breaching a contract.

Nope. They can constructively walk away by not making any more efforts to rectify whatever the inspector imagines is wrong. At that point they won't be breaching any contract. The agreement was that the sale would be consumated if ceratin conditions and stipulations were met and resolved.
EOS

LOL... nice try, but breaching a contract, is breaching a contract.

Oscar, I really wonder how carefully you have read the real estate contracts you've been a party to in the past. A typical inspection clause allows the buyer to cancel the contract if the inspection discloses major defects that the seller refuses to fix. The seller is *not* required to fix *anything* unless he has previously agreed to do so. If an inspection discloses major defects, any of the following can happen:
(a) the buyer can waive the inspection contingency ("I don't care, I'll buy it anyway");
(b) the buyer can cancel the deal ("Give me my deposit back, I'm outta here");
(c) the seller may offer to reduce the price of the home; the buyer is under no obligation to agree (see (b) above);
(d) the seller may offer to repair the defects at the buyer's expense; the buyer is under no obligation to agree (see (b) above);
(e) the seller may offer to repair the defects at the seller's expense, in which case the *buyer* is probably breaching the contract if he refuses to consummate the transaction;
(f) the buyer may ask the seller to reduce the price, or repair the defects at the seller's expense; the seller is under no obligation to agree;
(g) the seller can tell the buyer to pound sand.
In the absence of a specific written agreement by the seller to make repairs, under which of these scenarios is the seller breaching the contract by refusing to do so?
You and this FHA, FHA. You're wrong and you;re angry not everyone gets taken like you did. You yourself provided evidence the seller can limit his repair costs . So FHA FHA means nothing if a seller refuses to fix things or sets a limit that doesnt fix everything. It's in the contract as you say. The OP's buyers need to either get different financing or report the inspector's strange behavior and lack of specific remedies for supposed problems. If the seller has made an effort he has fulfilled his obligation. We dont know exactly what he agreed to do. It seems that FHA has similar appraisal/inspection procedures that many lenders do. Anytime a buyer and seller cant agree on price, repairs , closing date etc a deal dies.
========= reply below======= Jim,
Exactly, I provided proof the seller is contractually bound to fulfill their obligations.
If they fail to fulfill their obligations, they can't just walk away. I don't care if they put $100 as a limit, and never spent it, they don't have a right to walk away. They can, but then that's where lawyers come in for breach of contract. The seller must exhaust their obligations.
You & saltydog are a big part of what's wrong with this country. You both think you can just walk away from responsibilites.

You don't know a damned thing about either one of us, chump.

Oh, I seemed to strike a nerve. Walk away, it's appears to be your forte.
Responsibilities? I've bought and sold enough homes to know when a buyer or seller is jerking my chain. It's better to bail on a deal than get suckered. What happened to you and how were you taken?