RID-X For Home Septic System: Worth Doing ?

Hello
Might someone please provide any opinions or other information as to whether that product for home septic systems, RID-X is any good and worth the money ?
I have the typical home residential system: waste goes to a settling tank, then the liquid to a leaching field.
If wothwhile, how often ? Any caveats, or other questions I should be asking ? Does it kill the bacteria in system, which I guess are important for the waste's breakdown ?
Any other similar products better ?
Thanks, Bob
Well it is good for the Rid-X people. It has kept them in business and sent their kids to college.
I don't think most people need it. It is only a supply of the stuff that is present in any working septic system. There may be times it may be helpful, but since I have never been on such a system and no one I know that is has had any need for it, I can't say.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
<< worth the money ? >>
To the manufacturer, yes. For you, not likely.
FWIW, I have a septic system on a commercial property that has run perfectly since 1974 based on the rule that anything going into the sytem (with a few exceptions) has to pass through a human body first. Pump outs have been minimal over the years. Home septics probably need more service than mine, so treat it with respect and you won't have any calamities. HTH
Joe

tank,
Mom and Dad put a packet of fermented yeast in a quart of hot water down the kitchen drain once a month. Never had the septic pumped as long as I lived there, 14 years. Use low/no phosphate soaps for washing. Phosphates inhibit the action in the tank.

Many systems can go 14 years without being pumped. Many of those systems will die before they turn 20.

Mine's been chugging along since 1975 and never been pumped.
-> Hello -> -> Might someone please provide any opinions -> or other information as to whether that product for -> home septic systems, RID-X is any good and worth the money ? -> -> I have the typical home residential system: waste goes to a settling tank, -> then the liquid to a leaching field. -> -> If wothwhile, how often ? -> Any caveats, or other questions I should be asking ? -> Does it kill the bacteria in system, which I guess are important for the -> waste's breakdown ? -> -> Any other similar products better ?
My personal opinion is that it is good and worth the money. I lived with a septic system for several years and did use it, but I don't have anything that I could say that would be proof.
You could probably get away with once per quarter (one box every three months).
If it's not taking food out of your mouth, then why not use it? Better to be safe than sorry, right?
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~