rewiring permit snag - abandoned wires

Page 3 of 4

I can agree with the elected officials. As for others, it is unfair to paint them all with the same brush. I've worked with some that have been great. Very helpful, very smart, doing a fair day's work too. Sure a few are idiots as every other line of work has too.
Every town hall has a few incompetent drones, but I can tell you stories of various inspectors and highway department workers do a great job.
Add pictures here
βœ–

βœ–
Bob F wrote:

Okay, you ask your local electrical inspector the difference between thinset and regular grout and see what kind of answer you get.
Add pictures here
βœ–

How will you or for that matter the inspector would know if there isn’t some errant voltage running through those flush cut conductors that have been connected by some idiot from behind some wall someplace just waiting for someone to flip a switch someplace to energize them and then have something that has fallen on the bare conductors to start a fire?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 22:16:41 -0700 (PDT), Molly Brown

Check them out with a meter? If they are connected to anything at least one of them will be grounded. If they are really cut at both ends there should be an open to ground on all wires. If you are really worried, twist a wirenut on all 3 wires bundled together. That bolted fault would trip the breaker immediately. No you wouldn't need a purple wirenut. ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'm not an electrician but have done quite a bit of home wiring. You would have to be a *special* kind of idiot to find a cut off wire behind a wall and connect it to a live circuit. None of the cut wires will be connected to anything so there would be no reason to ever re- use them. This probably won't be an issue anyway because judging from the way the original wiring was shoved on top of the concrete wall in the basement with no staples I doubt any of it was stapled.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Voltage is provided. Current runs through.
There is typically something called a circuit breaker box, which allows one to disconnect the wire from the incoming power wiring.
With an open cut wire, there should either be a dead short, or an open. In either case, not much chance of over heating.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Molly Brown wrote:

If the wires are cut away from the breaker box, and there is obviously no continuation of that wire to the breaker box, it shouldn't be too hard to derive. Certainly any inspector will figure it out.
Add pictures here
βœ–

AFAIK code explicitly permits what you suggest unless it is a new revision and/or a local addendum.
I just got a new copy of the NEC but haven't even cracked it open yet so I may not know something.
nate
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 08:13:05 -0700 (PDT), Limp Arbor

Leave it to the government to make a job ten times harder and more costly. I would have not even contacted them, jsut done the job.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Apr 7, 6:51 pm, J snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Aside from making me sleep better at night knowing a professional has looked at my work and my house is not 55 times more likely to burst into flames...
A permit allows me to: Call my homeowners when the work is done and get a discount for the upgraded panel & wiring get a discount for the hard-wired smoke detectors Sell the house with an upgraded panel and no Aluminum wire Every other house in this development (about 250) has Al wire Keep Mike Holmes from stopping at my house and saying "rip it out!"
Add pictures here
βœ–
Limp Arbor wrote:

It also gives to direct access to the expertise to get good answer to your questions, just like you did in this case.
Add pictures here
βœ–
J snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

BINGO! FINALLY, a correct answer.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Steve Barker wrote:

If you are an idiot.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Bob F wrote:

Or if you are someone who does work correctly and does not need government intervention.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Steve Barker wrote:

And doesn't care if your insurance is any good?
Add pictures here
βœ–
Bob F wrote:

abandoning failed or non-trusted runs in place is done all the time. Clip them off square on both ends as far from the boxes as you can reach, and don't worry about it. You do, of course, have to make sure there aren't any boxes in the middle of the apparent run, and if there are, cut them off there as well.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
βœ–
Bob F wrote:

says it makes no difference. There's no pre-insurance inspection, so there's no way they would know who or when it was wired. duh.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Andy comments:
Save all the aluminum wire you pull out. If you strip off the romex covering and use the individual wires, they make excellent tie wraps for shubbery and gardening purposes. Black, white, or metal , depending on what matches the color scheme of your garden.
I use 6 inch lengths to tie up my tomato plants. Best use of aluminum wiring I have seen to date.
Andy in Eureka, Texas
Add pictures here
βœ–
I'm nominating this for the good idea of the week award. Do I have a second?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus