Rewiring A 3-way Switched Outlet

I have a 1950's house with an outlet in the living room that is controlled by two 3-way switches. I would like to make this outlet "always hot".
Here's the setup:
One 3-way switch for the outlet is housed in a triple-wide box with two other 3 switches that control the 1st & 2nd floor landing lights. The other 3-way switch is housed in a double wide box with a SPST for a kitchen light.
The outlet (1st floor), the kitchen light (1st floor) and the 2nd floor landing light are on one circuit. The 1st floor landing light is on a different circuit (a 2nd floor circuit). Both of these circuits share one neutral.
I know how the 3-way switches are wired, so I know I could simply move some wires between terminals to make the outlet always hot, (which I won't do!) but I'd really like to know the "proper" way to do it. i.e. eliminate the switches for the outlet, patch the wall, replace the switch plates, etc. Is it proper to retain the existing 3-way switch wiring and make wirenut connections inside the switch boxes and then cover a portion of the box and install smaller switch plates or do I need to pull new wires, replace the boxes, etc?
I'm thinking that wirenut connections, along with the shared neutral, would make this really confusing for whoever comes along next and tries to figure out the wiring for these devices.
Thanks!
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:35:28 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

I would take the switches loose and wire nut all 3 wires together in the box and blank the opening. If you are really worried about the next guy, just take a piece of masking tape and mark "old 3-way to receptacle"

You should also take note of which wire is connected to the black terminal of the 3-ways and put a piece of black tape around them.

I wou;d leave the outlewt as is controlled by the 3 way switches, as a future owner might find it useful.
then either install some lock plates that will lock the switches always on or better yet, just install a regular always on outlet and box around that location, its not hard and can be very useful. power from a convenient place like a outlet nearby thats always on.
the lock plates are clear plastic pieces that cost under a buck a piece and just prevent the switch from being moved without a screwdriver
either of these is far better than changing whats there
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Are you SURE both outlets are switched? Sometimes only half of a duplex outlet is switched for just the reasons you outline.

Yes..Both outlets are switched...same as all the other switched outlets in the house.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

But are you sure, pretty sure, or REALLY sure? These things can be confusing...

inaccessible. So you cannot cover one section of the box unless you can get all of the connections into the other sections. Wirenut connections in the box are allowed. I would leave the inoperable switch as is and return the wiring to original when moving out.
I suppose you have figured out the cable routing and are sure there is no permanently hot wire in the receptacle box so you could split the receptacle and have only one side switched.
Don Young
Don Young

geez 3 clear plastic switch locks under 3 bucks held in place with the existing cover screw, will fix this in minutes, and leave the circuit in place for the next owner who might like it.........
you have way too much idle time. no offense, but i am too busy for projects like this, and prefer to leave features functional whenever possible
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Duct tape works, too.

yeah but the clear latches are almost as cheap and near invisible

Thanks...I'll compromise and use this:
http://www.3m.com/brands/scotch/transducttape/
<g>

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
might be a better choice, package of three $2.96
made for the purpose:)