resurfacing a concrete floor

I have just purchased a house and it has a concrete floor in the basement. When we had the house inspected our inspector said it was from water coming through. The floor is not level, meaning it has high spots and is soft under the linoleum tile that was laid over it. I would like to grind off a few inches and poor it again. Has anybody done this or have any helpful hints.

What was from water coming through? Mold?

Instead of grinding you can pour self-leveling compound which is pretty easy if you know how to mix a bag of powder with the specified amount of water. But if your basement is big that can get quite expensive at $28 per bag, which only covers 1/8" over 50 sq. ft., or 1" over 6.25 sq. ft. I think it is mostly portland cement in the bag.
Maybe try a local concrete dealer for pricing or hire someone to do it.
On 27 Jul 2005 10:09:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Levelling compound wont work over tile. All tile and adhesive must come off first, and I bet it's asphalt time with tar adhesive. You wont get all that tar off. If you got enough headroom, you might be best pouring another slab right over the old one. Slabs are normally 4", but I think 3" would work over the old one. (I'd still remove the tile). Otherwise break out the whole floor and start over.