Residential video surveillance questions

Page 2 of 2
Steve B wrote:

The cheap ones that are technically now discontinued but are showing up on some store shelves (Wild Game innovations 1.3 mp) have a visible strobe flash (that don't seem to work below 40f). Cost for those is as low as $40.
Then there are the IR-LED versions (30, 40, 50+ IR LED's). Those come in two types - ones that give a dull red glow (to the human eye) and ones that give no visible glow at all (I think they call them "black" flash or black IR).

The "flash" from the IR LED's only lasts for 1/2 second, and you pretty much have to know where the camera is and be looking in the general direction to see them light up. Depending on how you have the camera programmed, it won't take the next picture until some time has passed (5 to 30 seconds usually). The LED's are off between flashes.
If you mount the camera high enough so that you'd need a ladder to reach it (8 - 10 feet) then you probably wouldn't get anyone taking it. Or you mount it inside something that has holes for the lens, motion sensor and LED's.
Wild Game Innovations is one major brand, but there are many others. WGI seem to be the brand that's most available at retail in the sub-$200 price range. I haven't owned any other brand - but my gut feeling is that if possible, for the same price, buy something else other than WGI.
They are also called "Scout-cams".
4 mega-pixels is the low-end right now, some are 8 and 10 mp.
Steve B wrote:

This website will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about them:
http://www.chasingame.com /
On 1/4/2013 7:22 PM, TomR wrote:

Here's a link to one of the suppliers I use to obtain gear for my commercial installations. The company has all sorts of stuff a home owner can buy for DIY installations. ^_^
http://www.supercircuits.com /
TDD

There are many options with linux. Another is Zoneminder:
http://www.zoneminder.com /
...which has jes about everything you need except hardware. You can explore it with watchdog, a live CD of a linux distro with all the zoneminder stuff already included:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Watchdog
This version of linux runs off the CD and does not require you to install it on your computer. I plan on checking this out, myself, but have not yet done so, so am unable to offer any first hand advice at this time. HTH
nb
TomR wrote:

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions etc.
For now, I am thinking of maybe just installing a temporary system like this one: http://www.securitywarehousestore.com/store/product.php?id_products00 .
I can place the cameras in and the receiver in locations that are secure. And, if we have a break-in or problem, I can go back later and look at the video clips by playing them back on a TV etc.